Posted by Cam on .
For questions 1-5, write the null and alternative hypothesis.
1. Does the water temperature have an effect on the number of people in the pool?
2. Does the weather have an effect on the number of people at the beach?
3. A fitness center is running a discounted membership fee. Did the discount increase the membership sales? Write your hypotheses mathematically.
4. A medical researcher gave 100 patients a new drug to see if it reduces their blood pressure? Did the new drug reduce the patients' blood pressure? Write your hypothesis mathematically.
5. Some students took a conflict resolution class? Did this class help to reduce the number of conflicts that the students were involved in? Write your hypothesis mathematically.
For questions 6-10, find the critical value.
6. There is an annual hot dog eating contest in Plattsburg, MS and the average number of hot dogs eaten by one person is 36 with a standard deviation of 6. Find the critical value for a person who can eat more than 2 deviations above the mean.
7. Female high school seniors at a particular school have an average height of 65 inches with a standard deviation of 5 inches. Find the critical value for a female high senior who is less than 1 deviation from the mean.
8. The average weight of a newborn at a particular hospital is 96 ounces with a standard deviation of 3 ounces. Find the critical value for a newborn who is 2 standard deviations below the average weight.
9. A company found that 27 out of 150 of its products were defective after retraining its employees. If the company normally has a 40% defective product rate, find the critical value to determine if retraining the employees helped to minimize the number of defective products.
10. A teacher gives 200 students a study guide for a test and the average score was 90 with a standard deviation of 6. She did not give the other 200 students a study guide and their average score was 70 with a standard deviation of 8. Find the critical value to determine whether or not the study guide helped students to increase their test score.
We do not do your homework for you. Although it might take more effort to do the work on your own, you will profit more from your effort. We will be happy to evaluate your work though.
However, I will start you out.
6. Z = (score-mean)/SD = +2
Solve for score/critical value.
Ho: water has no effect
H1: water has effect
Ho: Weather has no effect ...
H1: Weather does...