Posted by David Kroell on Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 7:01pm.
A right triangle has perimeter equal to 80 and hypotenuse equal to 34. What is the area of the triangle?
Geometrey - Reiny, Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 8:29pm
let one leg be x
then the other leg is 80 - 34 - x = 46-x
x^2 + (46-x)^2 = 34^2
x^2 + 2116 - 92x + x^2 = 1156
2x^2 - 92x + 960 = 0
x^2 - 46x + 480 = 0
(x -30)(x-16) = 0
x = 30 or x = 16
if x=30, other leg is 46-30 = 16
if x = 16 , then other leg is 46-16 = 30
area of triangle = (1/2)(16)(30) = 240 square units
Geometrey - David Kroell, Thursday, May 2, 2013 at 4:05am
I thought it made sense to make it into a quadratic equation.
Stupid me... I didn't factorise correctly.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - A right triangle with hypotenuse y and equal legs of size x has a ...
- GEOMETRY - A right triangle has perimeter equal to 198 and area equal to 1386. ...
- math - i have trouble finding the answer to this and how to srt. there is a ...
- trig - The hypotenuse of a right triangle has length 8. The area of the triangle...
- Maths - Here is a right- angled triangle. |\ | \ x | \ |___\ x - 2 All ...
- Math (Geometry) - The perimeter of right triangle ABC is equal to the perimeter ...
- geometry - The perimeter of right triangle RST is equal to the perimeter of ...
- Math - If all of the following triangles have the same perimeter, which has the ...
- math - A right triangle has a hypotenuse equal to 25 m and one leg equal to 17 m...
- solid mensuration - A circle has an area equal to 25 pi sq.cm. Its diameter AB ...