Posted by Chloe on Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 3:52pm.
I don't know how to solve this problem either. And yes, this is the question for this problem. I even double check it. Please help.
Chloroform (CHCL3) has a normal boiling point of
61 'C and an enthalpy of vaporization of 29.24 kJ/mol. What is the value of delta Gvap (in kJ) at 61'C for chloroform?
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 3:39pm
I wonder if this is the real problem? Isn't delta G = zero at the boiling point? It would have made more sense to ask for dS vap at the normal boiling point. And how could you calculate dG anyway with no dSvap given?
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 4:01pm
If that is the problem I would answer dG = 0 since you have an equilibrium at the normal boiling point and dG = 0 at equilibrium.
Chemistry - Chloe, Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 4:38pm
dG=? . how do I start this problem?
Do I use dG= -RT*ln*K?
dG=-(0.008314 kj/k*mol) (61+ 273.15) ln (29.24)??
I tried this and it is wrong.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 4:44pm
There is no "starting it" if I'm right. dG = 0 since the solution at its normal boiling point is zero. There is no calculation. delta G = zero, period.
Chemistry - Chloe, Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 4:50pm
ok thank you!
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 4:55pm
Please follow up with my answer. I would like to know if I need to adjust my thinking.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - The enthalpy of vaporization of chloroform (CHCl3) is 29.2 kJ mol-1 ...
- Chemistry - Chloroform (CHCL3) has a normal boiling point of 61 'C and an ...
- Chemistry - Question: Chloroform, CHCl3, a volatile liquid was once used an ...
- Chemistry - Cocaine is a non-electrolyte that has a molecular weight of 303.4 g/...
- chemistry grade 11 - A molecule of CHCl3 (chloroform), has the same shape as a ...
- chemistry - A molecule of CHCl3 (chloroform), has the same shape as a molecule ...
- Chemistry - Could you help me with this question: A molecule of chloroform, ...
- Chemistry-Question 3 - A 4.86 kg sample of a solution of the solute chloroform ...
- Chemistry - chloroform (chcl3) has a Hvap of 29.6 kj/mol and its boiling point ...
- Chemistry - The following thermodynamic data was obtained for an unknown ...