Posted by marie darling on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 5:04pm.
The four sequential sides of a quadrilateral have lengths a=3.6, b=5.3, c=8.4, and d=10.2 (all measured in yards). The angle between the two smallest sides is alpha = 117°.
What is the area of this figure?
precalculus - Reiny, Friday, April 26, 2013 at 9:17pm
join the ends of the two smallest sides
let its length be x
x^2 = 3.6^2 + 5.3^2 - 2(3.6)(5.3)cos117°
= 58.374..x = 7.64 ( I stored the entire number)
area of the triangle formed by x and the the two smaller sides
= (1/2)(5.3)(3.6)sin117 = 8.5
In the larger triangle, let the angle opposite side x be Ø
7.64^ = 8.4^2 + 10.2^ - 2(8.4)(10.2)cosØ
171.36cosØ = 116.2304
cosØ = .67828..
Ø = 47.29°
area of larger triangle = (1/2)(10.2)(8.4)sin47.29°
total area = 31.4789 + 8.5 = 39.979 units^2
check my arithmetic
precalculus - marie darling, Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 12:06am
thank you for your help! These problems get really confusing when they don't provide a picture.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- trig - A kite is in the shape of a quadrilateral with two pair of congruent ...
- math - Two sides of a triangle have lengths 8 m and 24 m. The angle between them...
- math - solution of the questions The sides of a quadrilateral ABCD are 6 cm, 8 ...
- geometry - solution of the questions The sides of a quadrilateral ABCD are 6 cm...
- geometry - the sides of a quadrilateral abcd are 6cm,8cm,11cm and 12cm ...
- Mathematics - The lengths of two opposing sides of a square are decreased by ...
- math - Two sides of a triangle have lengths 15 m and 18 m. The angle between ...
- Geometry - The contrapositive of the following conditional statement: If a ...
- geometry - Can some one please help me figure the angles out? sorry I can't copy...
- Geometry - A park in a subdivision is triangular shaped. Two adjacent sides of ...