Posted by Eri on Friday, April 26, 2013 at 11:23am.
I'd like to know if I answered these correctly.
1.Both the Whitman poem and the Dickinson poem are examples of poetry that?
A. abandons conventional rhyme and meter.
B. stresses the pangs of unrequited love.
C.praises the work of ordinary people.
D. captures the cadence of public speakers.
I said A.
-Aboard at a Ship’s Helm by Walt Whitman-
Aboard at a ship’s helm,
A young steersman steering with care.
Through fog on a sea-coast dolefully ringing,
An ocean-bell—O a warning bell, rock’d by the waves.
O you give good notice indeed, you bell by the sea-reefs ringing,
Ringing, ringing, to warn the ship from its wreck-place.
For as on the alert O steersman, you mind the loud admonition,
The bows turn, the freighted ship tacking speeds away under her gray sails,
The beautiful and noble ship with all her precious wealth speeds away gayly
But O the ship, the immortal ship! O ship aboard the ship!
Ship of the body, ship of the soul, voyaging, voyaging, voyaging.
2.In the first stanza of the Whitman poem, the speaker describes
A.A young sailor steering a ship
B. a rocky shore that inevitably wrecks ships
C. a fog-bound ship approaching a reef
D.the deceptive nature of many warnings
I said A
8.Patrick Henry's speech at the Virginia Convention is an example of:
A. autobiographical narrative
B. persuasive speech
C. plain style adopted by the Puritans
D. rational text
I said B.
9. In his speech, Henry appeals to:
A.heart and soul
B.ethics and emotions
C.emotions and logic
D.ethos and pathos
I said C.
10.Which of the quotes from Patrick Henry's speech to Virginia convention represents an appeal to the head?
A."We are apt to shut our eyes against a painful truth, and listen to the song of that siren, till she transforms us into beasts"
B."has Great Britain any enemy, in this quarter of the world, to call for all this accumulation of navies and armies?"
C."Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The was is inevitable--and let it come!
D."I know not what courses others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
I said A.
Language Arts - Writeacher, Friday, April 26, 2013 at 11:29am
What are the two poems' titles for #1?
Language Arts - Writeacher, Friday, April 26, 2013 at 11:33am
In #10, "an appeal to the head" = an appeal to logic, not emotions, right?
Language Arts - Eri, Friday, April 26, 2013 at 11:35am
#1a poems are 'Aboard at a Ship’s Helm ' and 'The Moon is distant from the Sun'
Language Arts - Writeacher, Friday, April 26, 2013 at 12:01pm
Do you mean this one?
If so, your answer choice for #1 is incorrect.
Language Arts - Eri, Friday, April 26, 2013 at 1:22pm
Language Arts - Eri, Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 3:50pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Poetry - What is rhyme scheme? (1 point_ The stressed and unstressed syllables ...
- English - 1. Both Walt Whitman and Emily Dickinson were influenced by the ...
- Ed Tech - What is rhyme scheme? A. The stressed and unstressed syllables within ...
- language arts - What is a concrete poem? A. A poem that provides concrete images...
- Literature - 'Choose two poems from your book that you will later write an essay...
- English - Can you please check if the word choice is correct and if the words in...
- English - 1. Dialectical poetry is poetry that a uses a unique rhyme scheme and ...
- Language Arts - The arrow and the song poem 1 i shot an arrow into the air, 2 it...
- poetry - can someone please give me good links where i can find poetry to read. ...
- Language Arts/Poetry - In the poem "Parade" by Rachel Field, what details in the...