Posted by Rebekah on Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 6:39am.
A parabola has its vertex on the graph of the line y=3x+1 and passes through (1,10). If it is the same size,?
shape, and direction as the graph of y=3x^2, find the equation (s) of all possible parabolas
- Trig - Reiny, Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 8:03am
let the parabola have equation
y = 3(x-p)^2 + q
(1,10) lies on it, so
10 = 3(1-p)^2 + q
also the vertex (p,q) lies on y = 3x+1
q = 3p + 1
sub back into equation above
10 = 3(1-p)^2 + 3p + 1
10 = 3 - 6p + 3p^2 + 3p + 1
3p^2 -3p -6 = 0
p^2 - p - 2 = 0
(p-2)(p+1) = 0
p = 2 or p = -1
if p=2, then q = 3(2) + 1 = 7
and the parabola is y = 3(x - 2)^2 + 7
if p = -1, then q = 3(-1) + 1 = -2
and the parabola is y = 3(x+1)^2 - 2
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Pre calc - A parabola has its vertex on the graph of the line y=3x+1 and passes ...
- algebra II - Can you please help me with the these problems. 8.Write an equation...
- Parabola Help - by plotting the graph of parabola y=2+3x-2x^2 which 3 option are...
- Math - Find an equation of the parabola that has the indicated vertex and whose ...
- Algebra - 1.Write the equation of a line that is perpendicular to the given line...
- math help plz2!!!! - Find an equation of parabola that has the indicated vertex ...
- Calculus - Sketch a graph of the parabola y=x^2+3. On the same graph, plot the ...
- Algebra,Math, graphs help - This is what the directions state to do: (A) ...
- math - i have more than one question so if u no any of the answers please tell ...
- Math- calculus - Given f(x) = x ^ 3 - x ^ 2 -4x +4 Find the zeros of f. Write an...