Posted by anonymous on Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 9:42pm.
Consider the function f(x)=xe^2x. Find the intervals on which f(x) is concave up and the intervals where it is concave down. Show a sign graph.
Please show work in detail so I can follow for future reference. Thanks!
- Calculus - Reiny, Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 10:33pm
The curve is concave up if f '' (x) is positive and
concave down if f '' (x) is negative
f ' (x) = x(2)e^(2x) + e^(2x)
= e^(2x) (2x + 1)
f '' (x) = (2x+1)(2)e^(2x) + 2 e^(2x)
= 2 e^(2x) ((2x+1) + 1)
= 2 e^(2x) (2x + 2)
= 4 e^(2x) (x+1)
since 4e^(2x) > 0 for all values of x, we just have to look at
x + 1
x+1 > 0 for x > -1
x+1 < 0 for x < -1
so the curve is concave up for all values of x > -1
and concave down for all values of x < -1
check the graph by Wolfram
notice there is a point of inflection at x= -1
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - Consider the function f(x) e^x-1/2x^2. Find all points of inflection ...
- Calculus - THANK YOU TUTORS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP Determine the intervals on ...
- Calculus - Suppose you know that f(x) is an odd functon on the domain of all ...
- calculus - Let f (x) = x3 3x2 +5x+2. Find the open intervals on ...
- calculus - Let f (x) =7x-5/x+3 . Find the open intervals on which f is concave ...
- calculus - Let f (x) = x^2 + 5x-14. Find the open intervals on which f is ...
- Calculus - Find the intervals where the function f(x)=((2x-1)^2)(x-3)^2 is ...
- calculus - Please help me solve. I think increase = concave up and decrease = ...
- Calculus - f(x)=[3x^13]e^(−7x) On which intervals is the function concave ...
- Calculus - Let f(x)=−x^4−8^x3+5^x+2. Find the open intervals on ...