Posted by Mary on Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 4:50pm.
This has to do with vectors...I'm wondering if I set up the diagram correctly?
A plane has a speed of 250mph and flies with a bearing of N35degE. The wind is blowing from the west at 25 mph with a heading of due east. What is the actual speed and heading of the plane?
- Trig - Mary, Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 4:51pm
Whoops I forgot to include the diagram...here it is:
i.imgur [dot] com/RRY5pox.png
- Trig - Reiny, Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 10:02pm
I would tack on the wind vector to the end of the plane vector at the point P so the final end point is Q
Join Q to the origin O
vector OQ has our required direction and its magnitude represents the actual speed
By simple geometry angle P = 125°
so by the cosine law:
OP^2 = 250^2 + 25^2 - 2(250)(25)cos 125°
OP = 265.13
So the actual speed is 265.13 mph
Let the additional angle be Ø
by the sine law:
sinØ/25 = sin 125/265.13
sinØ = .07724
Ø = 4.43°
Ø + 35° = 39.43°
So the heading should be N 39.43° E
- Trig - Mary, Sunday, April 21, 2013 at 12:29pm
Thank you <3 you are a lifesaver!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Trig - A plane has a speed of 250mph and flies with a bearing of N35degE. The ...
- Calculus - An airplane is heading at a bearing of N23°E at a speed of 700 km/hr...
- Math - In still air a plane has air speed 300km/h and flies on a bearing of 110 ...
- trig - Find the bearing and airspeed for a plane to fly 630 miles due north in 3...
- Trig - A plane flies 1.3 hr at 100mph on a bearing of N40degreesE. It then turns...
- geometry - A plane is heading west at 200 mph. The wind is blowing S30°W at 25 ...
- trig - A plane is flying due south at a speed of 192 mph. a wind is blowing in ...
- Physics - A cessna plane flies with a speed of 150km/h relative to the air and ...
- Math - Me, again... Please help me. Thank you. Assume a plane is flying directly...
- math - a plane with an airspeed of 192mi/h is headed on a bearing of 121 degrees...