Posted by marie darling on Monday, April 15, 2013 at 8:07pm.
Solve 7 cos(2 theta) = 7 sin^2(theta) + 3 for all solutions 0 less than or equal to theta less than 2pi.
Solve 7 sin(2 w) - 4 cos(w) =0 for all solutions 0 le w lt 2pi
- precalculus - marie darling, Monday, April 15, 2013 at 8:18pm
le= less than or equal to
lt = less than
I keep getting numbers that are not on the unit circle and then when I try to plug them into my calculator I'm getting really big numbers. Please help. I've tried looking in my book but there are no problems like these.
- precalculus - Reiny, Monday, April 15, 2013 at 9:36pm
7 cos(2 theta) = 7 sin^2(theta) + 3
7 cos^2 Ø - 7sin^2 Ø = 3
cos^2Ø - sin^2 Ø = 3/7
cos 2Ø = 3/7
so 2Ø is in I or in IV
set your calculator to radians
2Ø = 1.1279 or 2Ø = 2π-1.1278 = 5.1553
Ø = .5639 or Ø = 2.578
Now the period of cos 2Ø = π , so by adding multiples of π to any answer will yield a new answer
so Ø = .5639+π = 3.7055
Ø = 5.1553+π = 5.71924
7 sin 2w - 4cos w = 0
7(2sinwcosw) - 4cosw = 0
cosw(14sinw - 4 ) = 0
cosw = 0 or sinw = 2/7
if cosw = 0, then w = π/2 , 3π/2
if cosw = 2/7 , then w = 1.281 or 2π - 1.281 = 5.002
- precalculus - marie darling, Monday, April 15, 2013 at 10:26pm
Thank you for your help! My numbers were way off haha.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Precalculs - I have no idea how to do these type of problems. -------Problem...
- Trigonometry - Thank you STEVE!!!!! Suppose that Cos (theta) = 1/square root 2 ...
- Precalculus(NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE!!) - Solve: sin(theta)cos(theta)-sin(theta)...
- Calculus - I wanted to confirm that I solved these problems correctly (we had to...
- Precalculus 2 - Similiarly to a question I asked previously I took the same ...
- algebra - Can someone please help me do this problem? That would be great! ...
- Precalculus(NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE!!) - Solve: sin(theta)+cos(theta) = 1 0 < ...
- Algebra II - Which of the following expressions are not equal to 1? A) sin^2 ...
- Math Trig Help - sin theta = x/3, with theta in the first quadrant, find the ...
- Algebra II - Multiple Choice Which expression is NOT equivalent to 1? (theta) ...