Posted by Gabby on Friday, April 12, 2013 at 10:09pm.
Which answer explains why there isnít a hyphen between well and behaved in the following sentence?
The students were so well behaved that Ms. Irvin dismissed them early.
The words well and behaved donít end in -ly.
The words well and behaved are on the same line.
The words well and behaved follow the word they modify.
The words well and behaved are compound words.
Is it correct or no?
- URGENT LANGUAGE ARTS URGENT~! - Writeacher, Friday, April 12, 2013 at 10:12pm
"on the same line"?? What in the world does that mean?
Make sure you are clear on what type of word each one is. Then re-think your answer.
- URGENT LANGUAGE ARTS URGENT~! - Ms. Sue, Friday, April 12, 2013 at 10:13pm
My, this is an obscure rule to be teaching middle-school kids!
The correct answer is C. However, not all editors and grammarians agree.
- URGENT LANGUAGE ARTS URGENT~! - Gabby, Friday, April 12, 2013 at 10:16pm
Thx Ms. Sue I was confused with the question to, mainly because well...many different have different opinions but also a hyphin can be used in many ways.
- URGENT LANGUAGE ARTS URGENT~! - Writeacher, Friday, April 12, 2013 at 10:19pm
It doesn't need a hyphen because "well" is an adverb which modifies the adjective (participle) "behaved" -- a hyphen here would be superfluous!
- URGENT LANGUAGE ARTS URGENT~! - Ms. Sue, Friday, April 12, 2013 at 10:20pm
The website also says the hyphen is unnecessary when it follows the modified word.
- URGENT LANGUAGE ARTS URGENT~! - megs, Monday, May 12, 2014 at 12:41pm
Answer this Question
- Urgent Language Arts~! - 10. In the following sentence, "Abraham Lincoln was a ...
- Language arts - How should the United States government have behaved in dealing ...
- Language Arts - 9. Choose the type of punctuation that is missing from the ...
- English - 1. He behaved most carefully. 2. He behaved the most carefully. 3. He ...
- URGENT language arts question~! - Which of the following compound words is ...
- Urgent 8th Grade Language Arts - How is the word street used in the sentence ...
- MORE LANGUAGE ARTS URGENT - Because she wants to go to medical school, Becky ...
- Ms.Sue NEED YOU HELP LANGUAGE ARTS URGENT!!!!! - 1. In a persuasive essay, the ...
- language arts - 1. Where should you put one or more hyphens in the following ...
- Language Arts - Please check answers! Choose the type of punctuation that is ...