Posted by Micki on Friday, April 12, 2013 at 1:20am.
How do I solve this via partial fraction decomposition?
- Pre-Calc - Reiny, Friday, April 12, 2013 at 1:44am
The bottom factors to (x^2-4)(x^2+2)
(x^2+9)/(x^4-2x^2-8) = A/(x+2) + B/(x-2) + C/(x^2+2)
( A(x-2)(x^2+2) + B(x+2)(x^2+2) + C(x+2)(x-2) ) = x^2 + 9
since the denominators on the left and right are the same.
This must be true for all values of x
let x=2 ---> 24B = 13 or B = 13/24
let x=-2 --> - 24A = 13 or A = -13/24
let x = 1 --> -3A + 9B - 3C = 10
sub in the values of A and B to get
C = -7/6
= -13/(24(x+2)) + 13/(24(x-2)) - 7/(6(x^2+2))
- Pre-Calc - Micki, Friday, April 12, 2013 at 3:46am
Thank you. But what about the "Cx+D" part?
- Pre-Calc - Steve, Friday, April 12, 2013 at 4:39am
You are correct, Micki, that there is supposed to be a (Cx+D) over a quadratic denominator. Luckily, in this case, C=0, so it worked out. Had it been otherwise, I'm sure it would have become apparent.
Answer this Question
- PRE CALC - please help me solve this partial-fraction decomposition! 12x-57/(x-...
- pre calc - write the form of the partial decomposition for the given rational ...
- partial fractions - (7x^2-16)/(x^2-2x) solve by using partial fraction ...
- Calc - ∫ (2x+1)/(x+1) dx Please show steps if you work it. I think it's a ...
- Math Help - Directions: Decide whether the statements are true or false by using...
- Calculus - Write the form of the partial fraction decomposition of the rational ...
- pre-calc - I am trying to get the polynomial; x^7+2x^6+3x^5+4x^4+6x^3+6x^2+7x+8 ...
- Calc Help Please Again Last one! - Write out the form of the partial fraction ...
- Math - Hi! I really need help with these two practice problems. If someone could...
- Algebra-Partial Fractions - Can you please help me with the following questions ...