Posted by Daniel on Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 12:29pm.
So here is the question:
Inflation is currently causing the cost of items to increase by about 2.5% per year. In 2009 a litre of gasoline costs approximately $0.90. What will it cost to fill a 60 litre gas tank 10 years from now. Round your answer to the nearest dollar. Name at least one thing other than inflation that determines the cost to the consumer of any article (not just gasoline).
For the mathematical portion, what would be the correct answer?
A = (0.9(1+0.25)^(10)) (60)
60 = # of litres
earlier portion of equation = cost of gas (per litre)
Is the answer..
math - Wayne, Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 4:35pm
Today it costs $54 to fill tank. In one year (per cent increase problem):
(x - 54)/54 = .025, so x = $55.35
in the next year:
(x - $55.35)/$55.35 = .025, so x = $56.73
Do this 8 more times, and you will get your answer: $69.12
I used an Excel worksheet to generate the answer. Not sure if there's a formula to solve this or not.
math - Wayne, Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 4:40pm
There is a formula, called the standard future value formula:
54 * (1 + .025)^10 = future value = $69.12
- math - Reiny, Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 12:45pm
the price increases exponentially
if it increases 2.5% this year, then next year it will increase 2.5% on the NEW amount
so if 2009 ----> 90 cents
10 years later ,
cost = 90(1.025)^10 = 115.20 cents or $1.152
so to fill a 60 L tank would cost
60(1.152) = $69.12 or $69 to the nearest dollar.
BTW, yesterday I paid $1.223 / L in Ontario, the lowest in many weeks.
- math - Steve, Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 12:49pm
They are both the same.
The problem with the first is that 2.5% = 0.025, not 0.25, which is 25%.
After all, (0.9)(60)=54
and that is the only difference between the two answers, aside from the typo.
- math - Daniel, Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 12:59pm
Wow thanks guys, perfect feedback.
Answer this Question
- math - Inflation is currently causing the cost of items to increase by about 2.5...
- Word Problems - I have two questions: Inflation is currently causing the cost of...
- math - A college student wishes to compare tuition fee increases during the ...
- Adv. Math - In January, gasoline cost $1.05 per gallon. In July, gasoline cost $...
- Adv. Math - Can someone else explain it but more easier for an 8th grader ...
- algebra 2 - When inflation causes the price of an item to increase the new cost ...
- Macroeconomics - cost in 2005 is 15.00 cost on 2009 is 20.50 Consumer price ...
- marketing - QUESTION #1 cost analysis with graph office copier has an initial ...
- FINANCIAL MATHEMATICS - The variable costs associated with a certain process ...
- Algebra 1 - a honda civic cost $17,655. A toyota corolla cost about 15,900. Fuel...