Posted by selly on Sunday, April 7, 2013 at 8:59am.
After several rounds of experiments like those described above, you find that you have identified five different genes involved in the biosynthesis of tryptophan in this organism. You name them Gene 1 through Gene 5. Based on your knowledge of the pathway of tryptophan biosynthesis from Problem Set 2, you set out to compare this with the pathway in your new yeast species.
The figure below shows the pathway of tryptophan in most organisms.
You try growing a representative mutant from each complementation group (gene) on medium containing various intermediates in the tryptophan biosynthetic pathway and summarize your results in the table below. The symbol "+" indicates that a mutant in that gene grew when provided with only that compound in minimal medium. The symbol "-" indicates no growth under those conditions.
Compound Gene 1 Gene 2 Gene 3 Gene 4 Gene 5
Shikimate - - - - -
Shikimate-3-P - - - - -
Carboxyvinyl-3-P-shikimate - - - - -
Chorismate - - - - -
Anthranilate - - - + -
Phosphoribosyl anthranilate - - - + +
Carboxyphenylamino deoxyribulose-5P - + - + +
Indoleglycerol-P + + - + +
Indole + + - + +
Tryptophan + + + + +
Based on these data and the pathway shown above, give the most likely name of the enzyme encoded by each gene (when grading your answer, we will ignore capitalization, spaces, and dashes):
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- biochemical genetics - You have discovered a new species of yeast and you would ...
- biology - You have discovered a new species of yeast and you would like to ...
- biology - Are an organism's characteristics determined only by its genes? ...
- Genetics - 1) For each of the following partial diploids, give the cellular ...
- Biology - 11) The recent Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine was awarded based...
- SCIENCE - HOW DO YOU REMEMBER WHICH GENES ARE WHICH! What do you mean which ...
- intro to psychology - Which one of the following statements about the Human ...
- genetics - ______________ means that neither gene in a gene pair (genotype) ...
- Science, Genetics - Please help me with science genetics questions? Thanks to ...
- Statistics - A study shows that the probability of a baby being born with gene x...