Posted by ashdawg on Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 6:08pm.
CH3NH2(aq)+H2O(l)=>CH3NH3+(aq)+OH-(aq) Kb=4.4 x 10^-4
Methylamine, CH3NH2, is a weak base that reacts with water according to the equation above. A student obtains a 50.0 mL sample of a methylamine solution and determines the pH of the solution to be 11.77.
(a) Write the expression for the equilibrium constant, Kb, for methylamine.
(b) Calculate the molar concentration of OH- in the 50.0 mL sample of the methylamine solution.
(c) Calculate the initial molar concentration of CH3NH2(aq) in the solution before it reacted with water and equilibrium was established.
The 50.0 mL sample of the methylamine solution is titrated with HCl solution of unknown concentration. The equivalence point of the titration is reached after a volume of 36.0 mL of the HCl solution is added. The pH of the solution at the equivalence point is 5.98.
(d) Write the net-ionic equation that represents the reaction that takes place during the titration.
(e) Calculate the concentration of the HCl solution used to titrate the methylamine.
(f) using the axes provided, sketch the titration curve that results from the titration described above. On the graph, clearly label the equivalence point of the titration.
- chemistry - chemisdumb, Saturday, April 20, 2013 at 4:01pm
- chemistry - Christina, Sunday, April 21, 2013 at 8:56pm
- chemistry - Anonymous, Monday, April 22, 2013 at 10:21pm
Everything Christina did is correct.
Starting with C
d. Ch3Nh2 + H+ -> CH3NH3+
e.(30)(x)=(50)(.078) since moles are equal at equivalence.
- chemistry - Anonymous, Saturday, April 27, 2013 at 10:49pm
Ayotte or Bentley
- chemistry - Anonymous, Sunday, May 5, 2013 at 3:51pm
Why is the  of the CH3NH3 the same as the [OH-]?
- chemistry - kelly, Monday, November 24, 2014 at 4:04pm
in your equilibrium constant expression do not include water because it is a liquid
Answer this Question
- AP Chemistry - CH3NH2(aq)+H2O(l)=>CH3NH3+(aq)+OH-(aq) Kb=4.4 x 10^-4 ...
- Analytical Chemistry - Calculate the pH at the equivalence point for the ...
- chemistry - What ratio [CH3NH3+]/[CH3NH2] is needed to prepare a buffer solution...
- Chemistry - A few questions I don't really get and need to see the work for A 50...
- college chemistry - Calculate the [CH3NH3+] of a 7.02×10-3 M solution of the ...
- CHEMISTRY - Methylamine (CH3NH2) forms hydroxide ions in aqueous solution. Why ...
- CHEIMSRTY - Methylamine (CH3NH2) forms hydroxide ions in aqueous solution. Why ...
- chemistry - Consider a buffer solution consisting of CH3NH3Cl and CH3NH2. Which ...
- College Chemistry Help Please! - what is the pH of a solution that is 0.200 M in...
- CHEM - Calculate the equilibrium constant for the weak base CH3NH2, if a ...