Posted by Sunny on Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 12:49am.
Ignoring the walls’ thickness, determine the outside dimensions that will minimize a closed box’s cost if it has a square base and top, if its volume is 32 cubic meters, and if the cost per square meter for the top, bottom, and sides respectively are $.03, $.04, and $.05.
(solve step by step please!)
- Math - wodolo, Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 1:05am
- Math - Sunny, Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 1:06am
can you explain how you got that please?
- Math - Reiny, Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 8:40am
let the base be x m by x m, let the height be y m
x^2 y = 32
y = 32/x^2
cost = cost of base + cost of top + cost of 4 sides
= .03x^2 + .04x^2 +4(.05)xy
= .07x^2 + .2x(32/x^2)
= .07x^2 + 6.4/x
d(cost)/dx = .14x - 6.4/x^2
= 0 for a min of cost
6.4/x^2 = .14x
x^3 = .896
x = .896^(1/3) = appr .964 m
then y = 32/.964^2 = appr 34.43 m
The answer seems unreasonable, but I just can't find any errors in my solution.
Even wrote it out on paper.
Answer this Question
- Math - Ignoring the walls’ thickness, determine the outside dimensions that will...
- math - A rectangular box with a volume of 320 cubic units is to be constructed ...
- calculus - An open box is to be constructed so that the length of the base is 4 ...
- math - the surface area cost of construction per m^2 for a large box is $50 for ...
- CALC - An open box is to be constructed so that the length of the base is 4 ...
- math - A box with a rectangular base and rectangular sides is to be open at the ...
- Calculus - dimensions of a box? - A rectangular box with a square bottom and a ...
- Calculus - A rectangular box with square base (which is NOT necessarily a cube) ...
- Calculus,math - Constuct a rectangular box with a square base that holds a given...
- Calc - A closed box with a square base is to be constructed so that its volume ...