Posted by lucy on Wednesday, April 3, 2013 at 10:28pm.
Find all roots of the equation ln(4-x^2)=x correct to 8 decimal places. List all successive approximations.
- math - Reiny, Thursday, April 4, 2013 at 12:41am
4 - x^2 = e^x
by making a rough sketch of
y = 4-x^2 and y = e^x, I can see that there are roots at appr. 1 and -2
setting up for Newton's Method:
let y = 4 - x^2 - e^x
y' = -2x - e^x
His method says:
newx = x - y/y' = x - (4-x^2 - e^x)/(-2x - e^x)
= x + (4-x^2 - e^x)/(2x+e^x)
so start with x = 1
newx ---- x
???? ----- 1
1.058007813 --- 1.058007813
1.058006401 --- 1.058006401
1.058006401 YEahhhhh! correct to 9 decimal places
start with x = -2
-1.964635631 --- -1.964635631
-1.964635597 --- -1.964635597
-1.964635597 Yeah again,
x = 1.058006401 or x = -1.964635597
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Successive approximations - Find all root of ln(4-x^2)=x correct to 8 decimal ...
- CALCULUS - Use Newton's method to find all the roots of the equation correct to ...
- trig - Find all solutions to the equation 2cos(2x) = x + 1, correct to 4 ...
- Algebra 2 - How do I solve polynomial equation by finding all complex roots? The...
- Calculus - Find all solutions of the equation correct to three decimal places. (...
- ALGEBRA 2 - Use the Rational Root Theorem to list all possible rational roots ...
- precalculus - Find all solutions of the given equation. (Enter your answers as a...
- precal - Find all solutions of the given equation. (Enter your answers as a ...
- Numerical Analysis - Using the bisection method, Newton’s method, and the secant...
- Math - Show that the equation x = 1/5(x^4 +2) has two real roots, both of which ...