Posted by Jill on Monday, April 1, 2013 at 8:30pm.
Explain clearly which out of the following combinations of solutes would result in the formation of a buffer solution?
A) NH3 and HCl in a 2:1 molar ratio
B) HCl and NaOH in a 1:2 molar ratio
C) NH3 and NH4Cl in a 2:1 molar ratio
D) NaOH and CH3COOH in a 1:1 molar ratio
And: Why is the molar ratio important?
Thanks for the help.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, April 1, 2013 at 9:40pm
For a buffer you want a weak acid and its conjugate base OR a weak base and its conjugate acid.
A In a 2:1 molar ratio you will get all of the HCl used up and form NH4Cl so the final solution will be NH3 and NH4Cl which is a buffer. You look at the others.
- Chemistry - Jill, Monday, April 1, 2013 at 9:55pm
Here is what I got :
a) formation of a buffer solution
B) strong acid and strong base, no formation of a buffer solution.
C) formation of a buffer solution
D) strong acid and weak base, formation of a buffer.
Am I correct?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 12:02am
Right on all but D. Since you have EXACTLY 1:1 ratio that means that the strong acid will exactly neutralize the weak base leaving you with the salt ONLY. You have half of what you need but not the other half.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Which of the following mixtures will result in the formation of a ...
- chem - Which of the following pairs of substances, when mixed in any proportion ...
- CHEM - Which of the following mixtures will result in the formation of a buffer ...
- Chemistry(Please check) - Which of the following mixtures will be a buffer when ...
- Chemistry - How do the following solutions show the properties of a buffer? 1) ...
- Chemistry - Hi, I posted yesterday with this lab question. "Calculate the molar ...
- chemistry - Which of the following mixtures will result in the formation of a ...
- Chemistry - A few questions I don't really get and need to see the work for A 50...
- Biochemistry - you have a 0.200L of solution containing 250mM phosphate buffer, ...
- Chemistry 12 - 15. The concentration of hydroxide ions in a solution of nitric ...