Posted by Mary on Monday, April 1, 2013 at 8:22pm.
I have several of these problems and am having trouble getting the hang of it.
Can you help me?
Factor. If the result is the square of a binomial, write it as such. If the result is prime, so state.
Here are the first couple of problems.
1) x^2 + 7x + 12
2) x^2 - x - 12
3) x^2 - 4x - 12
Algebra - Reiny, Monday, April 1, 2013 at 9:33pm
With these easy ones that start with 1x^2
look at the last term
e.g for x^2 + 7x + 12
last term is 12,
can you find two factors of 12 that have a sum of the middle term, namely 7 ?
yes: 3 and 4
3+4 = 7
so the factors are (x+3)(x+4)
s^2 - x -12
can you find two factors of -12 that have a sum of -1 ?
yes! , -4 and 3
-4(3) = -12
-4 + 3 = -1
you try the last one, let me know what you got
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - I don't have any specific problems I need help with, but I'm a bit ...
- algebra - Factor completely. If a polynomial is prime, state this x^2 -2/5x + 1/...
- Advanced Algebra - I some problems that I need help with please. Add or subtact ...
- Multiply write the result in scientific notation. - Its only practice work but I...
- INTRODUCTORY ALGEBRA - FOR HOMEWORK I HAVE TO DO A NUMBER TRICK BY PICKING A ...
- Algebra - When factoring an equation, how do I know if the result is prime? For ...
- Factoring and Prime - I am still having troulbe with these. Her is another one I...
- probability/binomial - i'm having trouble with probability and the binomial thm...
- Algebra - I have four problems I'm having trouble with. I need to solve the ...
- algebra--1 question - Suppose you divide a polynomial by a binomial. How do you ...