Posted by nancy on Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 8:30pm.
A painter can use the formula A=2/3bh to estimate the area of space under the parabola.
Calculate area in square ft under each arch
~ if there are 8 arches to be painted how many square ft must be painted
~ if 1 gallon paints 200 square ft , how many gallons must be needed
~ if a gallon of paint cost $27.00 and sales tax is 8% how much will it cost topaint 8 arches
- algebra - Reiny, Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 9:33pm
y = -(x^2 + 12x - 28)
So the parabola has x-intercepts at -14 and 2
so the vertex has an x-value of -6
(the midpoint between the intercepts)
sub in x=-6
y = -(8)(-8) = 64
so the base of the parabola is 16 and its height is 64
estimate of area = (2/3)(16)(64) = 682 2/3 square feet.
so 8 of those = 5461 1/3
number of gallons needed = 5461 1/3 ÷ 200 = 27.30666
we will need 28 gallons, can't buy .3066 of a gallon
cost = 1.08(28)(27) = $816.48
- algebra - nancy, Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 11:20pm
Thank you so much
Answer this Question
- Algebra 1B - A painter can use the formula A=2/3bh to estimate the Area of space...
- algebra - The drama club is building a backdrop using arches whose shape can be ...
- math - McDougal's Restaurant has a play area for children under and around their...
- Calculus - Use a simple area formula from geometry to find the area under ...
- Math: Need Answer to study for a quizz. Help ASAP - Estimate the area under the...
- Math - Estimate the are under the curve f(x)=x^2-4x+5 on [1,3]. Darw the graph ...
- Math Homework - 1) Given the side of a square pyramid is 6cm and the altitude is...
- Calculus - Estimate the area under the graph of 25−x 2 from x = 0 to x = 5...
- Python programming - A standard problem in mathematics is to measure the area ...
- calculus - A rectangle is to be inscribed under the arch of the curve y=4cos(.5x...