Posted by Liz on Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 6:25pm.
Here is the height, in inches, of 10 randomly selected members of the girls' dance team and 10 randomly selected of the girls' volleyball team
Based on the interquartile ranges of the two sets of data, which is a reasonable conclusion concerning heights of the players on the two teams?
Volley ball team:67,63,70,67,68,69.70,68,72,68
A. there is a greater variability of heights for the middle 50% of the dance team than for the middle50% of the volleyball team members
B. There is a greater variability of heights for the middle 50% of the volleyball team than for the middle50% of the dance team members
c. The variability for the 50% was the same for both team members
D. the average height, in inches, was higher for the members of the dance than for the members of the volleyball team.
I had B. since 68 is the middle and the is 5 numbers before it to get to the lowest number,63, and 4 to get to the highest number,72.
In dance 63, 59 is the lowest nuber, being 4 away and the highest is 67, being 4 away., so volleyball team has more variability.
Is this correct. I don't know if I did this correctly, can you help me; thanks
- Math- Ms Sue can you help - bobpursley, Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 6:49pm
Is there any reason you did not compute the standard deviation for each set of data? Standard deviation indicates variability.
- Math- - Liz, Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 6:59pm
I didn't do the standard deviation for each one because I didn't know how, can you help?, if not do you have something ( a link to forward me to) so I can review standard deviations.
I do appreciate your help.
- Math- Ms Sue can you help - bobpursley, Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 7:01pm
Do you have a statistical calculator? http://easycalculation.com/statistics/standard-deviation.php
Your text will tell you how to do it manually, if you want to groan thru it, all students need to do that once.
- Math- Ms Sue can you help - Liz, Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 7:31pm
so the volleyball team had a standard deviation 2.39 and a mean of 68.2
( I messed up when giving you the numbers, there should have been a comma between 69 &70 not a period-giving 10 numbers)
The dance team I got 3.05 standard deviation and a mean of 63
So the should the answer be A.
Answer this Question
- math - Here is the height, in inches, of 10 randomly selected members of the ...
- math- please help - Here is the height, in inches, of 10 randomly selected ...
- college math - Assume that there are 11 girls and 9 boys in the neighborhood ...
- math - Assume that there are 11 girls and 9 boys in the neighborhood club, and a...
- math - A team of five is randomly chosen from six girls and seven boys. How many...
- Math - Suppose you are managing 25 employees, and you need to form three teams ...
- math help - Suppose you are managing 25 employees, and you need to form three ...
- Math 157 - assume that a reseacher randomly selected 14 new born babies and ...
- math - My study group is lost on this one also.. Suppose you are managing 25 ...
- Statistics - A simple random sample of 50 female 14-year-olds is selected. The ...