Posted by Anon on Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 4:54am.
X^2+ + 2e- -> X(s) E=1.73V
Y^2+ + 2e- -> Y(s) E=0.40v
Which pair of species would react under standard conditions?
X^2+ and Y^2+
X and Y^2+
X and Y
X^2+ and Y
Would it be X and Y because the E is positive?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 1:39pm
I don't think X + Y will be positive. In fact they won't react at all.
X^2+ + Y ==> X + Y^2+ 1.73-0.40 = +?
- Chemistry - Anon, Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 1:56pm
So would it be X^2+ and Y^2+?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 31, 2013 at 2:35pm
No. How do you get a reaction out of X^2 + Y^2?
X^2+ + 2e ==> X
Y^2+ + 2e = Y
Both of them are being reduced. In a reaction an oxidation is ALWAYS accompanied with a reduction.
So X and Y won't react.
X^2+ + Y^2+ won't react.
The only possibilities are the second and fourth choices and I gave you the right choice in my first response.
Answer this Question
- HELP! CHEMISTRY - Which one of the following species will react with Sn at ...
- Chemistry - For there reaction system involving the species in the table below, ...
- chem - would you expect 2-chlorobutane to react faster or slower than 2-...
- chem - Would you expect 2-chlorobutane to react faster or slower than 2-...
- Chemistry - Which pair of ions will be most likely to react at standard state ...
- Chemistry Help Please - Which pair of ions will be most likely to react at ...
- ethics - If you are an employee of a business, and learn that it is violating ...
- CONFUSING QUESTION PLEASE HELP - Which one of the following species will react ...
- Chemistry - What would the potential of a standard hydrogen (S.H.E.) electrode ...
- science - suppose some natural disaster occurs and a species of finch is forced ...