Posted by boom on Wednesday, March 27, 2013 at 8:22am.
A fully loaded Cessna-182 airplane of mass 1250 kg has an engine failure when flying with an airspeed of 129 km/h at an altitude of 2670 m on a calm day. It then glides at a constant glide angle (which is the direction of flight below the horizontal) towards a safe landing at this constant speed of 129 km/h experiencing a drag force of 1300 N that opposes the direction in which the plane is moving.
1.The lift force which acts perpendicular to the wings of the plane.
2.The rate with which the loaded plane is losing gravitational potential energy.
3.The rate with which the loaded plane is losing gravitational potential energy
- Physics Oasis!! Help!! - bobpursley, Wednesday, March 27, 2013 at 10:13am
1. The lift force is mass*g if the aircraft is at constant speed downward gliding.
2. rate losing PE?
altitude= vertical speed*time=
rate of altitude loss= speedgiven*sinGlideAngle
rate of PE loss: mg*rateOfAltitudeLossAbove.
- Physics Oasis!! Help!! - Damon, Wednesday, March 27, 2013 at 10:23am
Lift does not act perpendicular to the wings but to the oncoming air flow. The two angles differ by the angle of attack.
speed = 129*10^3/3600 = 35.8 m/s
weight = 1250 * 9.81 = 12,263 N
Path at angle T down from Horizontal
weight down = 12,263 N
Lift component up = L cos T
Drag component up = 1300 sin T
12,263 = L cos T + 1300 sin T
weight not horizontal
Lift forward = L sin T
drag back = 1300 cos T
1300 cos T = L sin T
- Physics Oasis!! Help!! - bobpursley, Wednesday, March 27, 2013 at 10:25am
I agree with Damon, I was thinking the drag force as horizontal.
- Physics Oasis!! Help!! - Damon, Wednesday, March 27, 2013 at 10:26am
By the way, this means that for a glider:
Drag/Lift = tangent of steady glide angle
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - Can you please show me how these answers are reached. A fully loaded ...
- Physics - When its engine of power 75.0 kW is generating full power, a small ...
- PreCalc - Vectors - An airplane is flying with an airspeed of 660 Kilometers per...
- Calculus - An airplane is flying in still air with an airspeed of 325 miles per ...
- Calculus - How would you solve this problem: An airplane is flying in still air ...
- calc 3 - A pilot is flying a Cessna airplane at 180 mph (airspeed).He would like...
- physics - An airplane is flying horizontally with a speed of 1000 km/hr (278 m/s...
- physics - A small plane mass 600 kg lifts off from the runway at a speed of 145...
- Physics - A deorbit burn has been performed. During this deorbit burn a pre-...
- physics - a fully loaded saturn V rocket has a mass of 2.9*10 to the power of 6 ...