Posted by marie darling on Tuesday, March 26, 2013 at 12:13am.
Outside temperature over a day can be modelled as a sinusoidal function. Suppose you know the temperature is 80 degrees at midnight and the high and low temperature during the day are 90 and 70 degrees, respectively. Assuming t is the number of hours since midnight, find an equation for the temperature, D, in terms of t.
- precalculus - Reiny, Tuesday, March 26, 2013 at 9:01am
let's pick a sine function
the range is 9-70 = 20
so a = 10
we know that the period is 24 hrs
24k = 2π
k = π/12
so far we have:
D = 10 sin(π/12)(t) + 80
giving us a range from 70 to 90
But obviously the temp after midnight would decrease, whereas our function has it increasing to 90 when t = 6 (6:00 am)
We could do a phase shift, or more simply, just flip the function to
D = -10sin(π/12)t + 80
check some values
t = 0 , D = -10sin0 + 80 = 80 , ok
t=6 , (6:00 am) D = -10 sin (π/2) + 80 = 70 , ok
t = 12 (noon), D = -10 sin π + 80 = 80 , ok
t = 18 , (6:00 pm) , D = -10sin 3π/2 + 80 = 90
all looks good
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Outside temperature over a day can be modelled as a sinusoidal function. ...
- Algebra - Stella is recording temperatures every day for 5 days. On the first ...
- Precalculus- HELP! - The temperature in your house is controlled by a thermostat...
- algebra - The overnight low temperature was -5 centigrade. If the temperature ...
- Calculus - How would you begin this problem? On a standard summer day in upstate...
- algebra - How would this problem be solved? The low temperature on Monday was -5...
- math - overnight the low temperature dropped to -6 degrees Fahrenheit. If the ...
- Algebra - marie730 the temperature at the end of the day was 64 degrees. the ...
- algebra1 - a meterologist reported that the day's high temperature was ...
- Operations with Integers - On a summer day, the low temperature of 75°F was ...