Posted by Katlyn on Monday, March 25, 2013 at 5:46pm.
An object suspended from a spring is oscillating up and down. The distance from the high point to the low point is 30cm, and the object takes 4s to complete 5cycles. For the first few cycles, the distance feom the mean position, d(t) centimetres, with respect to the time, t seconds, is modelled by a sine function.
Find the amplitude, vertical shift, phase shift and k value and period. Do all calculations and then make your final equation.
Can u please help me with this pne cuz there are a lot more and i don' t understand any of them please help meeee!!!:(
- Math - Reiny, Monday, March 25, 2013 at 6:11pm
"distance from the high point to the low point is 30cm"
----> your a value is 15
so far: d(t) = 15 sin ( ???? t)
5 cycles takes 4 seconds
so 1 cycle takes 4/5 seconds
then 2π/k = 4/5
4k = 10π
k = 5π/2
so far: d(t) = 15 sin (5π/2)( t ± phase shift)
since you didn't say where you want the object to be at t-0 , I will assume at the mean positon of zero
d(t) = 15sin (5π/2)t
since you only had data affecting the amplitude and period I will go with the above.
since the period is .8 seconds we should have a value of -15 at the 3/4 mark
3/4 (.8) = .6
set your calculator to radians and evaluated
15 sin (5π/2)(.6)
( I get -15)
- Math - Krystien, Monday, March 25, 2013 at 6:31pm
Im sorry I do not understand. How did you get 15 and the period .8 seconds how did you get the 5pie/2please explainI am so confused!!!:(
- Math - Reiny, Monday, March 25, 2013 at 6:39pm
I assumed you were familiar with the basic general sine function
y = a sin kØ
where a is the amplitude, and k is such that
2π/k is the period of the curve.
To be able to do the type of question above, you just MUST know that terminology.
Check with your textbook or your notes.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- trig - An object suspended from a spring is oscillating up and down. The ...
- physics - Question: Object A is moving at a maximum speed of 6m/s towards Object...
- Physics help - A 1.0 kg object is suspended from a vertical spring whose spring...
- Physics - By how much will a 1.52 kg object stretch a spring that is suspended ...
- intro to physics - In the figure, a block of mass m = 3.20 kg slides from rest a...
- calculus - An object is moving along the graph of f (x)= x2 . When it reaches ...
- trig - A weight attached to a long spring is bouncing up and down. As it bounces...
- phyics - Objects of equal mass are oscillating up and down in simple harmonic ...
- physics help! - Objects of equal mass are oscillating up and down in simple ...
- physics - An object of mass 5.00 kg is attached to a spring with a force ...