Posted by Sara on Friday, March 22, 2013 at 2:41pm.
What is Kc for the following equilibrium? For phosphoric acid, Ka1=6.9x10^-3, Ka2=6.2x10^-8 and Ka3=4.8x10^-13
HPO4^-2 + OH^- <==> PO4^-3 + H2O
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, March 22, 2013 at 4:10pm
Sara, this is a reverse hydrolysis problem. See your problem above for how that works.
So Kb for PO4^3- = (Kw/k3 for H3PO4) = ?
Then for the reverse hydrolysis it will be Kc = 1/Kb.
- Chemistry - Sara, Friday, March 22, 2013 at 6:16pm
I plug in the numbers put it doesn't match any of the choices.... I get 4.81x10^-29
The choices are
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, March 22, 2013 at 6:44pm
I don't know which buttons you punched but when I crunched the numbers I got 48 and that is one of the answers listed. I'd be interested in knowing what you did? Did I say something that was difficult to understand?
Kb phosphate = (kw/k3) = 1E-14/4.8E-13 = 0.02083 = Kb for phosphate.
1/Kb = 1/0.0203 = 48.0
- Chemistry - Sara, Friday, March 22, 2013 at 8:03pm
I don't press the E button i press the 10^x
Button but when I divided the kw/Kb it gives me 2.083x10^-28
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, March 22, 2013 at 8:14pm
Take a look at your calculator instruction manual for dividing one number by the other.
(Kw/k3) = 1 x 10^-14/4.8 x 10^-13 = 0.02038
1/0.02038 = 48.0
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - What is the hydronium ion concentration of a buffer solution that is...
- AP CHEMISTRY - Phosphoric acid is triprotic acid (three ionizable hydrogens). ...
- chemistry - Problem: Need to prepare a 250 mL buffer of pH 7.00 using equimolar ...
- Chemistry(Please check) - Which of the following equations correspond to the Ka2...
- Chemistry - what is the hydronium-ion concentration in a 0.35m solution of NaCO3...
- Chemistry - What is the concentration of CO3^-2 in a 0.028M solution of ...
- Chemistry - What is the hydronium ion concentration in a 0.010M solution of ...
- njit - please life saver i am taking a quiz now can some one help me with this ...
- Chemistry - Write a balanced equilibrium equation and kb expression for the ...
- Analytical Chemistry - For a triprotic acid H2PO4. Ka1=7.11e-3, Ka2=6.32e-8 and ...