Posted by Jossie on Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 4:16am.
evaluate each of the following...sin 75-cos 105-sin 15+cos 15
- mathematics - Reiny, Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 9:49am
I assume you want "exact" answers for these, the usual kind of request for these types of questions.
All your given angles are combinations of the standard angles of 30, 45, 60 etc
e.g. 75 = 45+30
15 = 45-30
105 = 60+45
You should also have memorized or have quick access to the trig ratios of these
e.g. sin 45° = √2/2 , cos 60° = 1/2 , etc
evaluate each one, the do the arithmetic
sin75 = sin(45+30)
= sin45cos30 + cos45sin30
= √2/2(√3/2) + √2/2(1/2)
= √6/4 + √2/4 = (√6 + √2)/4
carefully do the others, easy to make errors with those radicals
- mathematics - Reiny, Thursday, March 21, 2013 at 9:54am
You could also have done some preliminaray simplification using the complementary angle properties
cos15° = sin75°
cos105 = sin(-15) = -sin15
so sin 75-cos 105-sin 15+cos 15
sin75 - (-sin15) + sin15 + sin75
= 2sin75 + 2sin15
Now you only have to do two of the calculations
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Mathematics - Trigonometric Identities - Let y represent theta Prove: 1 + 1/tan^...
- tigonometry - expres the following as sums and differences of sines or cosines ...
- TRIG! - Posted by hayden on Monday, February 23, 2009 at 4:05pm. sin^6 x + cos^6...
- trig - Reduce the following to the sine or cosine of one angle: (i) sin145*cos75...
- algebra - Can someone please help me do this problem? That would be great! ...
- Math - Calculus - The identity below is significant because it relates 3 ...
- trig - The expression 4 sin x cos x is equivalent to which of the following? (...
- Calculus 12th grade (double check my work please) - 1.)Find dy/dx when y= Ln (...
- Trig - Find sin(s+t) and (s-t) if cos(s)= 1/5 and sin(t) = 3/5 and s and t are ...
- Trig - Given: cos u = 3/5; 0 < u < pi/2 cos v = 5/13; 3pi/2 < v < ...