Posted by Anonymous on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 6:37pm.
I am supposed to come up with a bill for an interest group of our choosing. I chose the American Bar Association. The bill i want to propose is " to give lawyers and law students with disabilities an equal chance at being chosen as a lawyer to be able to participate in the legal profession". I don't know how i could justify this proposal, so then people would approve of it.
Help please :) Thanks
Government - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 6:42pm
You should make it clear that for this purpose, disabilities mean physical disabilities or mobility problems. I assume you don't mean mental or emotional disabilities.
Government - Anonymous, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 6:45pm
Yes it is for those physical disabilities or mobility problems. I am just having trouble as to how i am supposed to convince others to support this proposal. If this bill were to be passed then those with disabilities would have a better chance as being chosen as lawyers. The ABA groups mission is to eliminate bias and enhance diversity. I don't know what else i can say to back up my proposal.
Government - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 6:59pm
You could point out that physical abilities have nothing to do with the practice of law. You could point that it's illegal to discriminate on the basis of physical disabilities.
Check these sites.
Government - Anonymous, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 7:05pm
Thats helpful thank you. I also want to add this as another justification for why the bill should pass: Members with disabilities may not want to self-identify due to concerns about bias, prejudice, and misuse of information. If this bill were to pass, then people with disabilities would be more open about their condition without fearing that they will not be accepted as a professional lawyer. Do you think this could be a good reason as to why people should let this bill pass?
Government - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 7:19pm
Government - Anonymous, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 7:22pm
ok thank you so much. Would this be enough of a justification? Or should i add more
Government - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 7:27pm
I would hit the legality issue hard. A law firm could not refuse to hire someone on the basis of his/her physical disability.
Government - Anonymous, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 7:31pm
Ok will do. Your help was much appreciated :)
Government - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 7:41pm
You're very welcome.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- government - the american bankers association is and example of a a. labor union...
- American Government - Which of the following interest groups is considered to ...
- American Government - Which statement is false? 1.)Most bills may originate in ...
- american Government - 1. if a majority of committee members support a bill, what...
- american government - 2. which of the following reflects a difference between ...
- spalding - the american bankers association is an example of a? a. labor union b...
- government - the house rules committee may do all of the following except a. set...
- Social Studies - 1. Laws begin with ideas that come from Representatives or from...
- math - A group of mathematics teachers went to a restaurant. They agreed to ...
- algebra2 - Bill invested $15,000 in three accounts. The savings account paid 1% ...