Posted by Peltier on Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 10:24am.
A box in a college bookstore contains books, and each book in the box is a history book, an English book or a science book. If one-third of these books are history books and one-sixth are English books, what fraction of the books are science books?
****please explain this problem to me because I'm sure to have similar ones like this on my real exam.
Thank you in advance
- Arithmetic - stranger, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 10:46am
Let no. of books be x
No. of history books equal x into 1/3 I.e.x/3
No. Of English books equal x into 1/3 I.e. x/6
Rest books = no. Of science books
=total books -(history books+English books)
=x/2 books are of science of total books I.e. x
No of science book is 1/2 of total books
- Arithmetic - Peltier, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 10:49am
- Arithmetic - Kiran, Monday, October 14, 2013 at 8:36pm
As per the probability rule
Total of all probability is 1
P(History)+P( English)+P( Science) = 1
1/3 + 1/6 + P( Science) = 1
P( Science) = 1- (1/3 + 1/6) = 1 - 1/2
P( Science) = 1/2
- Arithmetic - ReneSardinaJr, Friday, January 8, 2016 at 12:34am
1/3+1/6+ science = Find the LCM (lowest common Multiple).
the LCM for 1/3 is 2.
the LCM for 1/6 is 1.
Multiply both numerator and denominator, which gives you
2/6 + 1/6 = science
then add the 2 and 1
copy the 6 at the bottom which result 3/6 then simplify to lowest form which 1/2.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Arithmetic - A box in a college bookstore contains books, and each book in the ...
- grammar - There is not a book. There are not books. There is no orange. There ...
- math - Mia is stacking copies of a new book in a square-pyramid display by the ...
- math - Joe puts 5 books in his backpack as he leaves for school. He has 2 math ...
- MATH - Joe puts 5 books in his backpack as he leaves for school. He has 2 math ...
- MATHS - Mrs.Koh purchased new books for the school library, of which 6 were ...
- Math - Practice Dividing by 9 A Jeweler placed 20 necklaces on 5 different ...
- Math - Raul did an inventory of all the books in collection by subject. He ...
- Math - You borrow bookcases like the one shown to display 943 books at a book ...
- algebra ll - The number of books checked out from the library varies directly ...