Posted by hannah on Monday, March 18, 2013 at 5:54pm.
Indicate whether the pH increases, decreases, or remains the same when each of the following is added.
(CH3NH3)Cl to a solution of CH3NH2
pyridinium nitrate, (C5H5NH)(NO3) to a solution of pyridine, C5H5N
sodium formate to a solution of formic acid
how do you know these?
chem - DrBob222, Monday, March 18, 2013 at 10:28pm
You recognize what the hydrolysis products are; alternately, recognize the kind of a salt you have. I use the latter and my instructions may take a few liberties with actual chemical processes; however, they always give the correct answer.
strong acid is SA; example HCl, HBr,etc.
weak acid is WA; example acetic acid
strong base is SB; KOH, NaOH, etc
weak base is WB; NH3, organic NH2 etc.
CH3NH3Cl is the salt of CH3NH2&HCl. That's a SA and WB. So it is acid.
sodium formate is the salt of formic acid and NaOH. NaOH SB, formic acid is WA. So it is basic
SA + SB = neutral
SA + WB = acid
WA + SB = basic
WA + WB = acid, basic, neutral and i all depends upon which which has the larger Ka or Kb. If Ka is larger it is acid; if Kb is larger it is basic. If Ka = Kb it is neutral.
chem - hannah, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 6:47am
so how do i know if the ph is changing?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chem - Consider a solution that contains both C5H5N and C5H5NHNO3. (Kb for ...
- chemistry - Consider a buffer solution consisting of CH3NH3Cl and CH3NH2. Which ...
- chemistry... HELPP - Pyridine is a weak base that is used in the manufacture of ...
- AP Chemistry - A buffer solution contains .4mol of formic acid, HCOOH and a ....
- Chem - Consider the exothermic reaction CoCl42-(aq) + 6 H2O(l) --> Co(H2O)62...
- Biochemistry - What is the pH of the resulting solution if 10.0 mL of 1.0 M NaOH...
- Chemistry - The pK3 of formic acid is 3.75 A)what is the pH of a buffer in which...
- AP Chemistry - What is the pH of a 0.41 M solution of pyridinium chloride (...
- Chem II - Find the mass of sodium formate that must be dissolved in 200.00cm^3 ...
- chemistry - What is the pH of a 0.2 M solution of pyridinium chloride (C5H5NHCl...