Posted by Christina on Monday, March 18, 2013 at 3:27pm.
The GMAT test is required for admission to most graduate programs in business. In a recent year, the GMAT test scores were normally distributed with a mean of 550 and standard deviation of 100.
A. Find the first quartile for the distribution of GMAT scores.
B. Find the median for the distribution of GMAT scores.
C. Find the ninety-fifth percentile for the distribution of GMAT scores.
- stats. - MathGuru, Monday, March 18, 2013 at 6:17pm
A few hints:
A. First quartile is the 25th percentile.
B. Second quartile (median) is the 50th percentile.
C. 95th percentile is most of the distribution.
Find the z-scores using a z-table for each of these percentiles.
Use z-score formula to find the scores at each percentile.
z = (x - mean)/sd
mean = 550
sd = 100
Solve for x in each case.
Note: In a normal distribution, the mean, median, and mode are the same.
- stats. - Christina, Tuesday, March 19, 2013 at 11:16pm
so would part a be
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Stats - A random sample of 100 GMAT scores has a mean of 500. Assume that GMAT ...
- statistics - Suppose that the average score on the GMAT exam is 500 and that the...
- stats - Assume that aset of test scores is normally distributed with a mean of ...
- maths - Suppose scores on an IQ test are normally distributed.If the test has ...
- Math - Suppose scores on an IQ test are normally distributed. If the test has a...
- Math - Suppose scores on an IQ test are normally distributed. If the test has a ...
- Word Problem - A math teacher gives two different tests to measure students' ...
- stats - Test scores on a university admissions test are normally distributed, ...
- statistics! - 1) Entry to a certain University is determined by a national test...
- statistics - The Intelligence Quotient (IQ) test scores are normally distributed...