Posted by JOJO on Monday, March 18, 2013 at 5:15am.
A spherical bowling ball with mass m = 4.1 kg and radius R = 0.116 m is thrown down the lane with an initial speed of v = 8.9 m/s. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the sliding ball and the ground is ¦Ì = 0.34. Once the ball begins to roll without slipping it moves with a constant velocity down the lane.
How long does it take the bowling ball to begin rolling without slipping?
4) How far does the bowling ball slide before it begins to roll without slipping?
5) What is the magnitude of the final velocity?
6) After the bowling ball begins to roll without slipping, compare the rotational and translational kinetic energy of the bowling ball:
physics - Elena, Monday, March 18, 2013 at 11:05am
v₀ = 8.9 m/s
R = 0.116 m
a= μg=0.34•9.8=3.33 m/s²
The torque M=Iε=(2mR²/5)•ε
ε= 5μmgR/2mR²= =5μg/2R=5•0.34•9.8/2•0.116=71.8 rad/s²
When speed v has decreased enough and angular speed ω has increased enough, the ball stops sliding and then rolls smoothly
ω= ω ₀+εt = εt
=8.9/(3.33 +71.8•0.116)=0.76 s.
(4) s= at²/2=3.33•0.76²/2=0.962 m
(5) v=v₀-at=8.9 -3.33•0.76=6.37 m/s
(6) ω= εt = 71.8•0.76=54.57 rad/s
E(rot) = Iω²/2= 2mR²ω²/ 10=
E(tr) =mv²/2=4.1•6.37²/2=83.18 J
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - A spherical bowling ball with mass m = 3.2 kg and radius R = 0.107 m ...
- ap phyiscs - A bowler throws a bowling ball of radius R=11 cm down a lane. The ...
- physics - A bowling ball with a mass of 4.5 kg travels at a velocity of 37 m/s ...
- physics - A bowling ball is released at the near right corner of a bowling lane ...
- Physics - A uniform, spherical bowling ball of mass m and radius R is projected ...
- Physics - A 6-kg bowling ball with a radius of 14 cm is spinning about a ...
- Physics - A 4.0 kg bowling ball rolling at a velocity of 11m/s down the bowling ...
- Physics (mechanics) - There are two parts for this questions... "When a bowling ...
- PHYSICS!!!! help!!! - A perfectly spherical, but squishable ball of radius 10 cm...
- Physics - Circular motion - A marble of mass m is placed on top of a bowling ...