Posted by Cody on Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 9:29pm.
How many drops (1 drop=0.05mL) of 0.20M KI must we add to 100.0 mL of 0.010M Pb(NO3)2 to get a precipitate of lead iodide to start. Ksp of PbI2=7.1e-9.
Answer=9 drops. Please show steps.
- Chemistry-Dr.Bob222 - Devron, Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 9:59pm
I calculate 4 drops, so I think I may be doing something wrong.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 10:12pm
(Pb^2+)(I^-)^2 = 7.1E-9
(0.01)(I^-)^2 = 7.1E-9
(I^-) = about 8.4E-4M
mols in 100 mL = M x L = about 8E-5 mols.
How many mols do you have in a drop. That's M x L = 0.2M x 5E-5 = 1E-5
Then (1E-5 mols/drop) x #drops = 8.4E-5
# drops = 8.5; therefore, you mut round that to 9 drops.
- Chemistry--Dr. Bob222 - Devron, Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 10:22pm
PbI2----> Pb + 2I
*****We differ at the setup, why did you not include the 2?
Ksp=7.1 x 10^-9=products/reactants=[0.01M][2x]^2
7.1 x 10^-7=4x^2
Solving for x,
7.1 x 10^-7/4=x^2
1.78 x 10^-7=x^2
sqrt*(1.78 x 10-7)=x
x= 4.21 x 10^-4 M=I concentration
4.21 x 10^-4 M *0.1 L=4.21 x10^-5 moles of I
4.21 x10^-5 moles of I/0.2 M=2.11 x 10^-4 L
2.11 x 10^-4 L*(10^3 mL/1L)=0.211 mL
0.211 mL/0.05 mL/drop=about 4 drops
- To Devron--Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 10:59pm
I chose to call I^- simply x because that simplifies a lot of stuff. However, you may call it anything you wish BUT you must follow through with it. If you choose to call it 2x, then when you solve for x = 4.21E-4M you must evaluate 2x. So 4.21E-4 x 2 = 8.42E-4 whereas I had 8.43E-4 with a lot less algebra. :-).
- Chemistry - Devron, Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 11:17pm
Wow, I can't believe I did that.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - How many drops (1 drop=0.05mL) of 0.20M KI must we add to 100.0 mL ...
- science - How many drop (1drop=0.05ml) of 0.20M potassium iodide must we add to ...
- Chemistry - Can someone show and explain to me step by step how to do the ...
- General Chemistry - I add 5 drops Potassium Iodide (KI) to 5 drops lead nitrate...
- Science AP Chemistry - It is necessary to add iodide ions to precipitate the ...
- Chemistry - I'm sorry here is another I do not understand. How do you find out ...
- Chemistry - We can precipitate out solid lead(II) iodide from an aqueous lead(II...
- Chemistry - Reposting since it wasn't clear in the previous post S2O82-(aq) + 2I...
- Chemistry - A solution containing excess lead(ii) nitrate is reacted with 380....
- chem 100 - Super confusing question im not sure how to approach a. Determine the...