Posted by Kevin on Friday, March 15, 2013 at 5:18pm.
A right circular cylindrical can of volume 128tπ cm^3 is to be manufactured by a company to store their newest kind of soup. They want to minimize the surface area of the can to keep costs down.
What are the dimensions of the can with minimum surface area?
The volume of a cyllinder is V= πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is height. The surface area of a cylinder is SA= 2πr^2+2πrh, which is the sum of the area of the top and bottom (2 circles) and the area of the other curved sides (a rectangle, whose length is the circumference of the circles)
Math - Reiny, Friday, March 15, 2013 at 6:03pm
They have provided you with all the formulas you need
given: πr^2h = 128
h = 128/(πr^2)
SA = 2πr^2+ 2πrh
= 2πr^2+ 2πr(128/(πr^2)
= 2πr^2 + 256/r
d(SA)/dr = 4πr - 256/r^2
= 0 for a min SA
4πr = 256/r^2
r = 4/π^(1/3) = appr 2.7311
then h = 128/(πr^2) = 5.46223
notice that this is twice the radius
So the minimum SA is obtained when the
radius is 2.4311 cm
and the height is 5.46223 cm
Math - Mel, Saturday, March 5, 2016 at 3:57am
given: πr^2h = 128π
h = 128π/(πr^2)
TSA = 2πr^2+ 2πrh
= 2πr^2+ 2πr(128/(r^2))
d(tsa)/dr = 4πr - (256π/r^2)
0 = 4πr - (256π/r^2)
4πr = (256π/r^2)
(solve for r)
r^3 = 64
r = 4
(solve for h)
h = 128/(4^2)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - *Optimization problem* I'm okay at some optimization problems, but ...
- Math - What is the surface area and volume of a composite figure made up of a ...
- Calculus - A company needs to make a cylindrical can that can hold precisely 1.5...
- geometry/algebra - I asked this question yesterday, and I'm trying to understand...
- Math - Geometry - A cylindrical solid has a cylindrical circular hold drilled ...
- Calculus - an open topped cylinder has a volume of 125 cubic inches. determine ...
- math - the volume of an cylindrical can with a radius r cm and height h cm is ...
- Math-Algebra 2 - The surface area of a golf ball is 8.92 in ^2. The surface area...
- Math - Calculus I - Optimization Problem: Find the dimensions of the right ...
- math - find the radius and height of a cylindrical soda can with a volume of ...