Posted by Blessed on Friday, March 15, 2013 at 3:13pm.
What can I do to fix this sentence?
Fred said the distributor cap on my car is cracked
English - Ms. Sue, Friday, March 15, 2013 at 3:29pm
Nothing, other than a period at the end. You've used an indirect quotation, and quotation marks are not needed.
English - Writeacher, Friday, March 15, 2013 at 3:36pm
Ms. Sue is correct.
Someone posted this very sentence the other day -- http://www.jiskha.com/display.cgi?id=1363261452 -- and it was answered differently AND INCORRECTLY!! If you use quotation marks there also needs to be a comma and an additional word needs to be capitalized ... AND you change the meaning of the sentence!!
Best keep it as it is!
English - Blessed, Friday, March 15, 2013 at 3:43pm
Thank you both!
English - Writeacher, Friday, March 15, 2013 at 3:44pm
English - Ken, Friday, March 15, 2013 at 7:51pm
That was my mistake, I read it as a direct quote of Fred, speaking about his own car, rather than an indirect quote. Thank you.
English - Anonymous ..., Sunday, March 17, 2013 at 9:40am
1.Fred said, that the distributor cap on my car is cracked.
2.Fred said, the distributor cap on his car is cracked
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Does this sentence need any other puncation than a period at the end. ...
- english - can you check my puncuations. 5. My professor told us my favorite ...
- english - can you help place quotation marks, commas, and periods where ...
- English - I know that.For example: I wash a car.In these sentence,subject is "I...
- english - which is a better metaphor. when tom came out of the shower, he was ...
- english - The elderly man was a grandfather to seven youngsters and he never ...
- Math: - Fred’s net monthly income is $3933.12 Rental: $700 Car Payment: $363.75 ...
- Math: slope problem - Suppose a line passes through the point (6 caps, $3/cap) ...
- English(need help explain the meaning) - Do you think that there should be a cap...
- english - can you please help me with two sentences inc these words. cupidity ...