Posted by ttuuffyy on Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 5:09pm.
Annie walked her dog 2 1/4 miles from her house to the dog park and 3/7/8 miles around the park.Then she walked the same distance home.How many miles did she walk in all?
fractions - Ms. Sue, Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 5:12pm
2 2/8 + 3 7/8 = 5 9/8 = 6 1/8 mile
6 1/8 + 6 1/8 = ?
fractions - ttuuffyy, Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 5:16pm
How did you figure that out.Iam trying to explain to my 4 th grader
fractions - Ms. Sue, Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 5:20pm
When we add or subtract fractions, we must have a common denonimator.
2 1/4 = 2 2/8
When I added the two fractions, I added the whole numbers and the numerators. That is 5 9/8. But since 9/8 is larger than 1, I simplified the fraction to 6 1/8.
Which part doesn't the child understand?
fractions - ttuuffyy, Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 5:22pm
9/8 when you simplified it.
fractions - Ms. Sue, Thursday, March 14, 2013 at 5:27pm
If you divide two pizzas into 8ths, you have 8 in one pizza and 8 in the other pizza. 9/8 is all of the pieces in one plus one piece from the other.
You might draw a picture for the child showing the two pizzas.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Melina walked her dog 2 1/5 miles. Cathy walked her dog 1 3/4 times as ...
- math - Eddie walked 3/4 miles from his home to the park then walked 2/4 miles ...
- Science - Please Check This Answer - My problem is: When Christy takes her pet ...
- math - Roberto has walked 3 miles almost every day in the past four years, with ...
- Math - Mary walked to the park on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday she took a ...
- 5th grade problem solving - Mario walked his dog 5 miles. He walked 3 1/5 miles ...
- 4th grade math - In the school walkathon, Bev walked 2 1/5 miles, Dennis walked ...
- Science - Please check my answer - This is my problem: When Christy takes her ...
- Algebra - John walked 10 miles on Saturday. He walked twice as fast on the ...
- Math... - Matilda is planning a walk around the perimeter of Wedge Park, which ...