Posted by Andrew on Monday, March 11, 2013 at 11:05pm.
Compare the g/L solubility of CaCO3 in pure water, a H3O+ (aq) solution with a PH of 3.00 and a H30+(aq) solution with a pH of 1.00.
Ksp for CaCO3 is 3.36 x 10^-9
CaCO3 (s) + H3O (aq) = Ca (aq) + HCO3 (aq) + H2O (l) (equilibrium equation)
I knew how to do this for pure water and got
But i don't know how to do this for
Solution with a pH of 3.00 and solution with a pH of 1.00
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 12:19am
I would do that this way.
K = 71 = (Ca^2+)(HCO3^-)/(H^+)
71 = (x)(x)/0.001
and solve for x = about 0.27M and convert that to g/L = about 27 g/L.
Chemistry - Andrew, Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 12:26am
I just tried that and it told me the answer was incorrect. It gave a hint saying
In acidic solution, use the reaction given for the solvation of CaCO3 in acidic solution. Construct a concentration table that allows for the calculation of final concentration as if the reaction first goes to completion and then returns to equilibrium. The initial hydronium ion concentration is calculated from the pH.
I don't really get what it is telling me to do.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 12:51am
I did that first and didn't like the answer I got. Then I looked in my quant book and found a slightly different method for which I obtain 0.267M solubility. With that as an answer I looked to see how to get it and lo and behold came up with the exact same answer and it looked legit. So I posted.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Given the following solubility constants, which list arranges the ...
- Chemistry - Marble is almost pure CaCO3. Acid rain has a devastating effect on ...
- chemistry - If water is saturated with CaCO3, how much of it has to evaporate to...
- Chemistry - The chief compound in marble is CaCO3. However, marble is readily ...
- Chemistry - One of the main components of hard water is CaCO3. When hard water ...
- Chemistry - Which of the following would you add to a mixture of CaCO3(s) and ...
- analytical chemistry - In an experiment for determining water hardness, 75.00 ml...
- chemistry - how many grams of CaCO3 will dissovle in 300ml of 0.05M Ca(NO3)2 ? ...
- chemistry - For caco3 ksp 8.0 x 10-13 at 25c what is the solubility of caco3 at ...
- Chemistry - Given the reaction 2HI (aq) + CaCO3(s) = CaI2(aq)+CO2(g)+H2O(l) What...