Posted by rfvv on Sunday, March 10, 2013 at 10:30pm.
1. What is he like?
- He is strong and tall.
- He is active and generous.
2. What does he look like?
- He is reserved and friendly.
- He is average height.
(Are they all grammatical? What is the difference between question 1 and Question 2?)
- English - Writeacher, Sunday, March 10, 2013 at 10:33pm
Question 1 seems to be asking more about his personality and character traits. Question 2 is asking about what he looks like ... height, coloring, etc.
Both of the answers for #1 are fine, but only the second answer for #2 is correct.
- English - rfvv, Sunday, March 10, 2013 at 10:49pm
Thank you for your help...
3. What is he like?
- He is short and long hair.
Then is this answer acceptable as well?
- English - Writeacher, Sunday, March 10, 2013 at 11:17pm
These sentences would work with this question:
What is he like?
He is friendly and outgoing.
He is a very good student and spends lots of time in the library.
He is a very good athlete.
In other words, the answers need to focus on his personality and character, not his looks.
In re-reading my reply above, I see the error I made. Here's a correct explanation for you: Of the first two questions you posted, the first one elicits answers about his character, and the second one is expecting answers about his physical appearance.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English - What is she like? 1. She is smart. 2. She is friendly. 3. She is ...
- English - What does she look like? 1. She looks like a movie star. 2. She is ...
- English - Lesson Objective Students can greet people whom they meet for the ...
- English expression - What does he look like? He is heavy and tall. He looks like...
- English - What winter sport do you like most? 1. I lke curling because it's fun ...
- English (The Diary of Anne Frank) - I loved this book but my homework askes me a...
- English - 1. What color eyes do you have? - I have dark brown eyes. 2. How tall ...
- English expression - What does he look like? He is tall and thin. He is tall and...
- English - Posted by John on Wednesday, March 19, 2008 at 3:08pm. 1. He is ...
- English - 1. What's she like? - She's really tall. 2. What's the boy like? - He ...