Posted by Lisa on Sunday, March 10, 2013 at 9:09pm.
We have 900 ft of fencing and we want to construct a back yard. If we are using the building as part of the barrier for the yard what are the dimensions that allow maximum area?
I am not even sure how to start though I know I am supposed to calculate the derivative of the setup. Thank you
Here is the image. imgur F5NJVqp
- Maximum Area-Calculus-Edit - Damon, Sunday, March 10, 2013 at 9:26pm
perimeter = 2 W + L = 900
L = (900 - 2W)
A = W L
A = W (900 -2W)
A = 900 W - 2 W^2
now you can complete the square for the parabola and find the vertex or you can use calculus
dA/dW = 0 for max = 900 - 4 W
W = 225
900 = 2 W + L
900 = 450 + L
L = 450
glad you learned calculus and did not have to find the vertex of that parabola? :)
- Maximum Area-Calculus-Edit - Damon, Sunday, March 10, 2013 at 9:37pm
Oh, although I can not see your image I see your note on your earlier question answered by Steve.
If only 100 feet of the building is used then
2 W + L + (L-100) = 900
2 W + 2 L - 100 = 900
2 W + 2 L = 1000
then continue as before
- Maximum Area-Calculus-Edit - Lisa, Sunday, March 10, 2013 at 10:08pm
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I got 250 for each dimension :)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Maximum Area - We have 900 ft of fencing and we want to construct a back yard. ...
- AP Calculus - The management of a large store has 1600 feet of fencing to fence ...
- calculus help - Farmer Brown wants to fence in a rectangular plot in a large ...
- math - Susan's back yard is rectangular with dimensions 39 yd. by 71 yd. Carlos'...
- math - Chris wants to make an enclosed rectangular area for a mulch pile. She ...
- Math, Quadratic Functions - A rectangular chicken yard was built against an ...
- Pre-Algebra-math - Mr.jones bought 20 yards of fencing to make pen for dog pen ...
- 5th grade math - suppose you are building a fence for a garden in your yard. ...
- calculus - I got half of this problem wrong and I DO NOT know where and how to ...
- Precalculus - Combined area of 1680ft^2 for 4 identical rectangular corrals. ...