Posted by tyler on Sunday, March 10, 2013 at 5:15pm.
A survey team is trying to estimate the height of a mountain above a level plain. From one point on the plain, they observe that the angle of elevation to the top of the mountain is 25 degrees. From a point 1225 feet closer to the mountain along the plain, they find that the angle of elevation is 30 degrees.
How high (in feet) is the mountain?
angles - Reiny, Sunday, March 10, 2013 at 5:35pm
make a sketch
let the top of mountain be T
base of mountain R
so we want TR
Let A be the point farthest from the top, let B be the closer point,
AB = 1225
In triangle TAB
angle A = 25°
angle TBR = 30° , so angle TBA =150°
leaving us with angle ATB = 5°
by the sine law:
BT/sin25 = 1225/sin 5°
BT = 1225sin25/sin5 = 5940.059
so now in the right-angled triangle TBR
sin 30 = TR/5940.059
TR = 5940.059*sin30 = 2970.03 ft
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- trig - A survey team is trying to estimate the height of a mountain above a ...
- pre-cal - A survey team is trying to estimate the height of a mountain above a ...
- math - A survey team is trying to estimate the height of a mountain above a ...
- Maths - Say I'm at an unknown distance from a mountain, called point P, and I ...
- math - if someone could please help that would be muchly appreciated. A group of...
- trig confused.. pls help - A group of mountain climbers are using trigonometry ...
- trig - Bob is driving along a straight and level road straight toward a mountain...
- Trigonometry - At a point on a level ground, the angle of elevationof a mountain...
- Maths - A surveyor measures the angle of elevation of the top of the mountain ...
- Precalculus - From a point on ground level, you measure the angle of elevation ...