Posted by Knights on Sunday, March 10, 2013 at 8:32am.
A circle is tangent to the y-axis at the point (0,2) and passes through the point (8,0). Find the radius of the circle.
I tried using distance formula but it doesnt work? Help please thanks.
- Graphing Circles - Finding the radius - Reiny, Sunday, March 10, 2013 at 9:33am
since the line y = 2 is tangent to the circle, its centre must lie on the y-axis
let the centre be (0,b)
the equation of the circle is
x^2+ (y-b)^2 = r^2
but (0,2) lies on it ----> (2-b)^2 = r^2
but (8,0) lies on it ----> 64 + (0-b)^2 = r^2
64 +b^2= r^2
then 64 + b^2 = (2-b)^2
64 + b^2 = 4-2b+b^2
60 = -2b
b = -30
the centre is (0, -30) ---> radius = 2-(-30) = 32
distance from (0,b) to (0,2) must equal the distance from (0,2) to (8,0)
2-b = √(64 + b^2)
square both sides
4-2b+b^2 = 64+b^2
-2b = 60
b = -30
the radius is 2 - (-30) = 32
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- GEOMETRY CIRCLES PLEASE - 1.An isosceles triangle with each leg measuring 13 cm ...
- maths - there are two circles touching each other at one point. The radius of ...
- Math - Circle C has radius 4 inches. Circle D had radius 9 inches. These two ...
- GEOMETRY CIRCLE - 1.An isosceles triangle with each leg measuring 13 cm is ...
- GEOMETRY CIRCLES PLEASE - HELP ME PLEASE. 1.An isosceles triangle with each leg...
- maths - 1) Circle centre (7,-2) passes through (-2,10). Calculate radius and ...
- Please help with circle tangents geometry - Two circles of different sizes are ...
- Maths - 1. In the xy-coordinate plane, point A is the midpoint of the segment ...
- calc - standard equation of circle concentric with X^2+Y^2-2X-8Y+1=0 and tangent...
- Geometry - Circles and tangents - Two circles of radius 1 are externally tangent...