Posted by tmouery on Saturday, March 9, 2013 at 8:16pm.
A right pentagonal prism is 10 cm high. If the area of each pentagonal base is 32 cm squared and the perimeter is 20 cm, what are the lateral and total surface areas of the prism?
I tried doing this using the formula shown in my book, but it came out wrong. the formula I was using was for a triangular prism. What the heck is the formula for a pentagonal prism?
- geometry - Ms. Sue, Saturday, March 9, 2013 at 8:23pm
- geometry - Reiny, Saturday, March 9, 2013 at 8:31pm
triangular prism ---> base is a triangle
pentagonal prism ---> base is a pentagon
So clearly you can't use the triangular prism formula for this question , but you an generalize it looking what it describes.
I don't know what they gave you, but the surface area of a triangular prism consists of
2 congruent triangular bases + 3 congruent rectangles
so the surface area of a pentagon
= 2 (area of the pentagon) + 5rectangles
you are given that the perimeter is 20, so each side of the base is 20/5 = 4, and the height is 10
so the surface area of the 5 rectangles is 5(4)(10) = 200
add the 2 pentagon areas of 32 each for a total of
200 + 64 = 264 cm^2
your text should give you the definitions of lateral and total surface areas, make the necessary adjustments.
- geometry - tmouery, Saturday, March 9, 2013 at 9:23pm
Thank you, that makes more sense than what I tried.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - How do you find the lateral area and perimeter of a pentagonal ...
- math - a polyhedren with one pentagonal base is a A)pentagon b)cube c)pentagonal...
- geometry - find the lateral area and the total surface area of the right prism ...
- 7th Grade Math - A pentagonal prism has dimensions that are four times the ...
- Geometry - How do you go about finding the lateral area of a trianglar prism? Ex...
- Geometry please help me need to finish! - The slant height of a regular ...
- geometry - the base of a right prism is a rhombus whose diagonals are 6 in and 8...
- math - Am confused. The bases of a prism are right triangles with side lengths 6...
- GEOMETRY LATERAL AND SURFACE URGENT (PLEASEHELP) - 1.A RECTANGULAR BOX IS TO BE ...
- Geometry PLEASE HELP - 1. If the surface area of a cube is 294 inches squared, ...