Posted by Alex on Saturday, March 9, 2013 at 11:15am.
I got these problems wrong in class. but, think i have the right answer now. Can you check?
1. Jim's mother made pizzas for his birthday. SHe sliced the pizzas into 50 slices. She served Jeff and his 7 guests the same number of slices and she ate the rest. How many pieces of pizza did Jim's mother eat?
Steps: take 50/8 = 6.25; then multiply 8 guests * 6 slices = 48; then subtract 50-48 = 2. So, Jeff's mom at 2 piece of pizza.
2. Mrs. Smith made coffee for 7 members of her bridge club. Her coffee maker makes 30 cups. If she and her club members drink equal amounts, how many cups of coffee will still be in the coffee maker when her guests leave?
Steps: take 30/7 = 4.28; then mulitply 7 members * 4 = 28; then subtract 30-28 = 2. SO there's 2 cups left.
- 5th grade math (word problems) - Ms. Sue, Saturday, March 9, 2013 at 11:20am
Your first one is right.
But your second is wrong. How many people are drinking coffee?
- 5th grade math (word problems) - bobpursley, Saturday, March 9, 2013 at 11:22am
2 I am not certain it is right. How many are there, 7 or 8. I am not certain she is a member of the bridge club in the count of 7. My best guess, is you are correct, she is one of the seven. But honestly,your teacher could have thought differently. If they are playing bridge, 4 to a table, 8 total makes much more sense, and your answer then is not what the teacher intended.
- 5th grade math (word problems) - Alex, Saturday, March 9, 2013 at 11:31am
So for #2, I should have divided by 8 members? 30/8 = 3.75; but 8*4 = 32 which is more than 30cups. I'm not sure how to solve this now.
- 5th grade math (word problems) - Ms. Sue, Saturday, March 9, 2013 at 11:32am
What is 8 * 3?
- 5th grade math (word problems) - Alex, Saturday, March 9, 2013 at 2:11pm
oh.. so you multiplied 8 * 3 instead of 4. But, I thought I needed to round 3.75 up to 4. But, if using 8 *3, then 30-24 = 6. There are 6 cups left over. So, when shouldn't i round up? THe 1st problem with the pizza, I also rounded up.
- 5th grade math (word problems) - Alex, Saturday, March 9, 2013 at 2:27pm
Nevermind.. 1st problem was 6.25 and stayed at 6 because that would be the same amount for everyone. For #2, 3.75 was the average. But, need to stay at whole cup which would 3 for everyone to have equal amount, right?
- 5th grade math (word problems) - Kayla, Monday, March 11, 2013 at 9:14pm
1. This one is ok.
2. The coffe cups should be divided by 8. If you were to make a drink for the club you would certainly have a drink. The answer is
30/8= 3.75; then you would multiply 8 * 3= 24; then you would subtract 30-24 you you would have 6 cups left.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - each pizza has 8 slices the teachers want enough pizzas so that each ...
- 5th Grade Math - Marissa and her friends have 3 pizzas. they eat 2 1/4 of the ...
- 5th grade math - vidal bought 2 pizzas and cut each into 8 slices. he and his ...
- math - Peyton has two pizzas.Each pizza is cut into 10 equal slices.She and her ...
- math - Peyton has 2 pizzas. Each pizza is cut into 10 equal slices. She and her ...
- Math - Aron bought 3 pizzas, each with 12 slices. He and his friends ate 1 and ...
- Math - A geometry class has a pizza party. there are 14 students that have a ...
- Math for Ms. Sue - A geometry class has a pizza party. there are 14 students ...
- Math - Geography Helen made 6 pizzas and cut each of them into eighths. If she ...
- math question please - how do i solve this? I am asking because i have never ...