Posted by ray on Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 1:07pm.
A young Asian child would probably be less inclined to engage in backchanneling than a middle-class American child does because:
a.he or she incorporates both verbal and nonverbal responses
b.middle-class children are taught and expected not to engage in backchanneling
c.non-mainstream groups are less likely to encourage child-to-adults feedback
d. backchanneling is a passive social device that benefits the listener more than the speaker
Would it be c?
The textbook states:
Another area in which mainstream children often differ from non-mainstream children is in their use of conversational responses to adults. Middle class children are taught to hold up their end of the conversation by responding verbally to adults, and by backchanneling. Backchanneling is providing feedback to the speaker to indicate that the listener is being attentive and following what the speaker is saying. Examples include such comments as uh huh, okay, or nonverbal feedback such as nodding the head to indicate attention. Young children from non mainstream cultures are somewhat likely to do this.
edu..help ms sue - Ms. Sue, Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 1:16pm
That is a terrible question and should not be answered.
It asks about an Asian child. The questioner may not realize that Asia includes Israel, Turkey, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Russia, Kazakhstan, Pakistan, Tajikstan, Iraq, Iran, India, Nepal, China, Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Laos, Thailand, etc., etc.
The last sentence you quoted from your text indicates that non-mainstream children are likely to backchannel.
At any rate, stereotyping has no place in education!
edu..help ms sue - ray, Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 1:23pm
i was saying the same thing. this question makes no sense
edu..help ms sue - Ms. Sue, Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 1:43pm
Even if your grade is penalized for not answering this question, wouldn't it be worth it to stand on a valuable principle?
edu..help ms sue - ray, Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 1:45pm
edu..help ms sue - Writeacher, Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 3:19pm
Bravo, Ms. Sue and Ray.
This nonsense needs to disappear from whatever "school" is including it in any coursework.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- cultural diversity - i have 3 questions that i am stuck on and i really need to ...
- Culturally Diverse Backgrounds - a young Asian child would probably be less ...
- Civics HELP! Ms.Sue - How did someone earn “middle class” status? What makes the...
- Cultural Diversity - Which of these statements is Not true? 1. Eye contact with ...
- History - The main reason for middle class resentment of the French aristocracy ...
- C - How did someone earn “middle class” status? What makes the middle class ...
- Math - Three brothers divide 17 candy bars. The oldest child gets 1/2, the ...
- comm 100 - Which of the following statements accurately expresses the ...
- American history - Who do you think profited the most during the ...
- math - Below is a sample space for a family with 3 children. BGG stands for the ...