Posted by John on Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 11:59pm.
A circle \Gamma cuts the sides of a equilateral triangle ABC at 6 distinct points. Specifically, \Gamma intersects AB at points D and E such that A, D, E, B lie in order. \Gamma intersects BC at points F and G such that B, F, G, C lie in order. \Gamma intersects CA at points H and I such that C, H, I, A lie in order. If |AD| =3, |DE| =39, |EB| = 6 and |FG| = 21 , what is the value of |HI|^2 ?
- Geometry - Steve, Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 10:51am
From the secant-secant rule,
FB*21 = 6*39, so FB=78/7
AD+DE+EB = 3+39+6 = 48
CG+21+FB = 48, so CG = 111/7
CH*HI = CG*CF = 111/7 * 258/7 = 28638/49
AI*HI = 3*39 = 117
AI+IH+HC = 48
117/HI + HI + 28638/49HI = 48
now "just" solve for HI
The fractions look nasty, so you better check my arithmetic.
- Geometry - Steve, Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 11:01am
Oops. I was multiplying the wrong segments:
FB(FB+21) = 6*45
FB = 9
FB+FG+CG=48 so CG = 18
CH*(CH+HI) = 18*39 = 702
AI*(AI+HI) = 3*42 = 126
AI+HI+CH = 48
Things look better now
- Geometry - Abcd, Thursday, March 7, 2013 at 12:05pm
Yes, solving gives HI^2= 792.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Geometry - ABCD is a trapezoid with AB < CD and AB parallel to CD. \Gamma is ...
- physics - Find Beta and Gamma for an electron that has a kinetic energy of 6.00...
- Physics: Formulas - the momnetum of a gamma photon is determined by the equation...
- physics please help - Find Beta and Gamma for an electron that has a kinetic ...
- Geometry - Please answer at least one . PLEASE 1. Triangle XYZ has a right ...
- Bio - of the following, the best conclusion concerning the difference between ...
- geometry - In a triangle ABC,E and F are the mid-points of AC and AB ...
- Physics - Gamma-ray bursters are objects in the universe that emit pulses of ...
- circle geometry - Circles Γ1 and Γ2 intersect at 2 distinct points A ...
- GEOMETRY......circle - Circles Γ1 and Γ2 intersect at 2 distinct ...