Posted by noman on Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 6:42am.
What is the probability of getting 80% or more of the questions correct on a 10-question true-false exam merely by guessing?
probability - Damon, Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 2:53am
Binomial distribution with p = .5
= c(10,10) .5^10 (.5)^0 =.5^10 = .000976
p( 9 right)
= c(10,9) .5^9 (.5)^1 = .00976
= c(10,8) (.5)^8 (.5)^2 = 45*.5^10 = .04394
sum = .0547
I can't understand that way.... can anyone explain or solve it another way
probability - saiko, Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 7:37am
well you can understand it like,
for one qusetion getting right,
the probability is=.5
as there are only two options true and false.
for two qusetion getting right,
the probability is=.5*.5
for three qusetion getting right,
the probability is=.5*.5*.5
for eight qusetion getting right,
the probability is=(.5)^8
for exactly eight question getting right you have to make 2 questions wrong.
for two qusetion getting wrong,
the probability is=(.5)^2
and you can select 8 questions out of 10 at a probability=C(10,10)*(.5)^8*(.5)^2
thus you can calculate probability for exactly 9 qstn and 10 qstn right.
sum them and u'ld get the ans.
probability - noman, Wednesday, March 6, 2013 at 8:52am
thanx :) i got it
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- probability - What is the probability of getting 80% or more of the questions ...
- statistic - Quiz has 6 questions. Each question has five possible answers, only ...
- Statistics - A multiple choice test has five choices. Therefore the probability ...
- Math, help - I need help what formula would i use or what steps do i take? A ...
- Stat HW for. - 1. A student taking a midterm exam in Ancient History comes to ...
- statistics - Assume a binomial probability distribution has p = .60 and n = 200...
- Statistical concept 68-95-99.7 - 1. A student taking a midterm exam in Ancient ...
- Statistics - The probability distribution of number of calls coming to a call ...
- Math - There is a 100 question multiple choice test each with 5 choices. You ...
- stats - if you randomly answer a t/f test and want to figure the possibililty of...