Posted by ken on Saturday, March 2, 2013 at 10:53pm.
sorry for the probably simple question, but i haven't done this stuff in a long, long time.
thought i had this right, but again not finding the answer
which of the following gives the slope of the tangent line to the graph of y=2^(1-x) at x=2?
so... it thought y=2^1-x)
any help figuring out where i went wrong would be greatly appreciated.
- calculus - Reiny, Saturday, March 2, 2013 at 11:51pm
y = 2^(1-x) is an exponential function, which is differentiated using natural logarithms
dy/dx = 2^(1-x) (-1) ( ln2)
so when x = 2,
dy/dx = -ln2(2^(1-2)
= -ln2 (1/2) = (-1/2)ln2 , looks like e
as soon as I had my derivative which contained ln2, I knew that the first 4 choices were not correct.
You found the derivative as if it was a polynomial function where the terms are such that the base is the variable, such as 3x^5
compare 4^x with x^4
if y = x^4
dy/dx = 4x^3
if y = 4^x
dy/dx = ln4 (4^x)
- calculus - ken, Sunday, March 3, 2013 at 12:37am
Thanks Reiny,really appreciate the extra explanation. get it now. thank you
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- English - Can you please check if these sentences are grammatically correct,...
- Calculus - Hello...i just had a quick question...its probably something easy to ...
- Chemistry-Repost for DrBob222 - A sample of C60O3 decomposes with an activation ...
- Algebra :P... again - Hi! Sorry.. but 1 more question? Direction: Find the ...
- history - can some one check my work? i can where is it It's the one with the ...
- English - I have a few doubts regarding the use of the present perfect. I really...
- English - I urgently need you to check this. Thank you, Writeacher. 1) Sorry for...
- bio( sorry for the long question) - a persaon complains about abdominal pain. ...
- Algebra - ello i need help factoring I haven't had factorin sense Algebra one ...
- grammar - Diagram the simple subject, the simple predicate, and the direct ...