Posted by Jonah on Friday, March 1, 2013 at 11:55am.
If acetic acid is the only acid that vinegar contains [Ka = 1.8*10-5] , calculate the concentration of acetic acid in the vinegar.
pH of vinegar is 3.20
First I got the antilog of the pH given, which turned out to be 6.309E-4.
Then I did [(6.309E-4)^(2)]/(1.8E-5)to get .022113, but when I typed in that answer I was told to check my calculations because I might be missing a 'term.' I have no idea what to do after this point.
- Chemistry - Devron, Friday, March 1, 2013 at 6:19pm
The concentration should be in molarity M. and it looks like you put in too many significant figures in the answer part. 0.022 M is what I would have put in.
- Chemistry - Jonah, Saturday, March 2, 2013 at 4:40pm
Yeah that is what I put in as my answer since it asked for two sigfis, but it was still wrong.
- Chemistry - Devron, Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 3:39am
HAc+ H2O---> Ac + H3O+
10^(-3.10)=6.310 x 10^-4 M
Ka=[6.310 x 10^-4 M][6.310 x 10^-4 M]/x
Ka=1.8 x10^-5=[6.310 x 10^-4 M][6.310 x 10^-4 M]/x
3.982 x 10^-7/1.8 x10^-5=[x]
x= 0.022 M
Not sure what to tell you.
- Chemistry - Devron, Tuesday, March 5, 2013 at 3:40am
Unless they wanted 3 sig figs, which would be 0.0221M.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- chem-acid-base titrations - Acetic acid (HC2H3O2) is an important component of ...
- Chemistry - If acetic acid is the only acid that vinegar contains , calculate ...
- chemistry - 10 ml sample of vinegar an aqueous solution 0f acetic acid( HC2H3O2...
- Chemistry - 1. Commercial vinegar is a solution of acetic acid in water. How ...
- Chemistry - In this experiment NaOH is standardized to find out the percent by ...
- Chemistry - Vinegar is a dilute solution of acetic acid. What is the ...
- chemistry - 4. Vinegar is a dilute solution of acetic acid. What is the ...
- chem. - A 10.0 mL of vinegar, an aqueous solution of acetic acid (HC2H3O2), is ...
- chemistry - Calculate the mole fraction of acetic acid in vinegar, assuming that...
- Chemistry - Vinegar is a solution of acetic acid, CH3COOH, dissolved in water. A...