Posted by help on Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 4:23pm.
1. Which of the following helped to increase the populations of northeastern cities? (1 point)
successful cotton crops
growth of factories and trade
building of the Erie Canal
2. A boundary was set between Canada and the United States as a result of (1 point)
the Convention of 1818.
the Louisiana Purchase.
the Missouri Compromise.
the Monroe Doctrine.
3. Which of the following modes of transportation did not improve during the early 1800s? (1 point)
4. What made the United States a transcontinental power in 1819? (1 point)
War of 1812
5. How did western settlement help improve the nation’s economy? (1 point)
The number of people searching for gold increased, thus increasing the amount of gold in the United States.
The number of people looking for nonfactory jobs increased, thus increasing the availability of factory jobs.
The improved quality in transportation made it easier to move goods east to west.
The improved quality of transportation made it easier to move people west to east.
6. The Industrial Revolution led to changes as the U.S. became more economically independent. Which of these changes occurred during this time? (1 point)
Cities began to grow, because individuals moved from farms looking for education.
Low taxes allowed people to invest in small business.
The Second Bank of the United States closed because of corruption.
Cities provided safe conditions, and a variety of opportunities.
7. "In 1831 Lowell was little more than a factory village. Several corporations were started, and the cotton-mills belonging to them were building. Help was in great demand; and stories were told all over the country of the new factory town, and the high wages that were offered to all classes of work-people... One of the first strikes of cotton-factory operatives that ever took place in this country was that in Lowell, in October, 1836. When it was announced that the wages were to be cut down, great indignation was felt, and it was decided to strike, en masse."
–Harriet Hanson Robinson, remembering the 1830s in Lowell
The statement that best summarizes this passage is _____.
although help was in great supply in Lowell, workers did not mind an announced cutback in wages
although help was in great demand in Lowell, an announced cutback in wages touched off one of the first cotton-factory strikes
although help was in great demand in Lowell, workers were offered a wage increase to prevent a strike
strikes were common everywhere but in Lowell, where textile-factory workers received regular wage increases
8. “…With the existing colonies or dependencies of any European power we have not interfered and shall not interfere. But with the Governments who have declared their independence and maintained it, and whose independence we have, on great consideration and on just principles, acknowledged, we could not view any interposition for the purpose of oppressing them, or controlling in any other manner their destiny, by any European power in any other light than as the manifestation of any unfriendly disposition toward the United States…”
President James Monroe proclaimed the Monroe Doctrine in 1823. What is the main point of the doctrine, as shown in this excerpt? (1 point)
The United States pledged to avoid all involvement in European affairs in return for favorable European trade.
The United States, along with France’s military and economic help, has determined to conquer and rule the new independent nations of the Western Hemisphere.
Only the United States, Canada, and Mexico should have influence in the Western Hemisphere.
European oppression upon the newly independent nations of the Western Hemisphere will be treated as oppression upon the United States itself.
9. "...[T]he court will enter upon the inquiry, whether the laws of New York, as expounded by the highest tribunal of that state, have, in their application to this case, come into collision with an act of Congress, and deprived a citizen of a right to which that act entitles him...
"Decree...This court is of opinion that...so much of the several laws of the state of New York as prohibits vessels, licensed according to the laws of the United States, from navigating the waters of the state of New York, by means of fire or steam, is repugnant to the said Constitution and void."
What conclusion is outlined in the above quotation regarding the Gibbons v. Ogden Supreme Court decision? (1 point)
States must recogonize all federal laws.
Federal laws have less power than state laws.
States have the right to deny federal law.
Federal government can only regulate laws regarding waterways.
Note: The following item has been reviewed and is schedule to be updated. All students will receive full credit for any response to the following.
10. "Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"
–during a debate in the Senate, 1830
Following the War of 1812, regional issues brought conflict to the American political scene. Which eloquent speaker defended national interests in this famous declaration? (1 point)
John C. Calhoun
11. What resources led to the appearance of the Industrial Revolution in New England? (5 points)
12. During the early 1800s, the United States tried to make peace with other countries in order to grow and develop. Give an example of one of these peace efforts and briefly explain what it hoped to accomplish. (5 points)
13. How did sectionalism emerge in the 1820s? Compare the priorities of the regions. (5 points) (5 points)
- social studies - Ms. Sue, Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 4:28pm
How would you like us to help you with this assignment?
- social studies - help , Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 3:30pm
just numbe 12 actualy
- social studies - nhn, Tuesday, January 14, 2014 at 9:56am
- social studies - csdkjbnaislvdsfv, Friday, January 24, 2014 at 12:18pm
kjfhmmfj ,sdbh vf zdbkjfvda,hjadrvkubvefa
- social studies - wtf, Tuesday, February 4, 2014 at 9:00am
- social studies - Sam, Friday, February 7, 2014 at 12:21pm
Stop being a dik on Jiskha
- social studies - Chelsea, Friday, February 7, 2014 at 6:45pm
You all are cheaters, posting your whole test on here... I understand if you just have one question, but you don't need to share your whole test on here...
- social studies - Alli, Monday, May 26, 2014 at 9:48pm
I came here for question 12 so if there could be an answer for it, that would be great.
- social studies - Anonymous, Friday, January 16, 2015 at 2:21pm
came here for 11 and 12
- social studies - lol, Thursday, January 22, 2015 at 7:27am
I got answers
- social studies - Anon , Friday, January 23, 2015 at 2:00am
I agree with Chelsea. This is no place to cheat. If you didn't see what the name of site is. its homework 'HELP' and the word help does not mean teachers on here just giving you the answer. Jeez do your own test.
- social studies - Luke, Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 10:39am
I was thinking for number 12 the convention to 1818 that set the boundary between the us and Canada what do you guys think??
- social studies - Luke, Wednesday, January 28, 2015 at 11:07am
And 13 what is 13 i am very confused??
- social studies - Omgoodness, Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 1:52pm
Lol smh no answers sad :((((((((
- social studies - Lucy Heartfilia, Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 3:44pm
Natsu! Quit Eating all my FOOD
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Social studies ASAP - Which of the following helped to increase the populations ...
- Social studies - 1. Which of the following helped to increase the populations ...
- Social Studies - 1. Which of the following helped to increase the populations of...
- Social Studies--Check My Answers Please-- - Are my answers are correct? Please ...
- SS - I need help! Ms.Sue can you check my answer? Which of the following help to...
- social studies - 1. As a diplomat, andrew jackson was most successful in a. ...
- social studies - 1. As a diplomat, andrew jackson was most successful in a. ...
- Geography - Please help me on this question: 9. The construction of the Erie ...
- geography - Please check this for me: The construction of the Erie Canal was ...
- History - Can someone please check my answers and help me correct them if they ...