Posted by help on Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 4:23pm.
1. Which of the following helped to increase the populations of northeastern cities? (1 point)
successful cotton crops
growth of factories and trade
building of the Erie Canal
2. A boundary was set between Canada and the United States as a result of (1 point)
the Convention of 1818.
the Louisiana Purchase.
the Missouri Compromise.
the Monroe Doctrine.
3. Which of the following modes of transportation did not improve during the early 1800s? (1 point)
4. What made the United States a transcontinental power in 1819? (1 point)
War of 1812
5. How did western settlement help improve the nation’s economy? (1 point)
The number of people searching for gold increased, thus increasing the amount of gold in the United States.
The number of people looking for nonfactory jobs increased, thus increasing the availability of factory jobs.
The improved quality in transportation made it easier to move goods east to west.
The improved quality of transportation made it easier to move people west to east.
6. The Industrial Revolution led to changes as the U.S. became more economically independent. Which of these changes occurred during this time? (1 point)
Cities began to grow, because individuals moved from farms looking for education.
Low taxes allowed people to invest in small business.
The Second Bank of the United States closed because of corruption.
Cities provided safe conditions, and a variety of opportunities.
7. "In 1831 Lowell was little more than a factory village. Several corporations were started, and the cotton-mills belonging to them were building. Help was in great demand; and stories were told all over the country of the new factory town, and the high wages that were offered to all classes of work-people... One of the first strikes of cotton-factory operatives that ever took place in this country was that in Lowell, in October, 1836. When it was announced that the wages were to be cut down, great indignation was felt, and it was decided to strike, en masse."
–Harriet Hanson Robinson, remembering the 1830s in Lowell
The statement that best summarizes this passage is _____.
although help was in great supply in Lowell, workers did not mind an announced cutback in wages
although help was in great demand in Lowell, an announced cutback in wages touched off one of the first cotton-factory strikes
although help was in great demand in Lowell, workers were offered a wage increase to prevent a strike
strikes were common everywhere but in Lowell, where textile-factory workers received regular wage increases
8. “…With the existing colonies or dependencies of any European power we have not interfered and shall not interfere. But with the Governments who have declared their independence and maintained it, and whose independence we have, on great consideration and on just principles, acknowledged, we could not view any interposition for the purpose of oppressing them, or controlling in any other manner their destiny, by any European power in any other light than as the manifestation of any unfriendly disposition toward the United States…”
President James Monroe proclaimed the Monroe Doctrine in 1823. What is the main point of the doctrine, as shown in this excerpt? (1 point)
The United States pledged to avoid all involvement in European affairs in return for favorable European trade.
The United States, along with France’s military and economic help, has determined to conquer and rule the new independent nations of the Western Hemisphere.
Only the United States, Canada, and Mexico should have influence in the Western Hemisphere.
European oppression upon the newly independent nations of the Western Hemisphere will be treated as oppression upon the United States itself.
9. "...[T]he court will enter upon the inquiry, whether the laws of New York, as expounded by the highest tribunal of that state, have, in their application to this case, come into collision with an act of Congress, and deprived a citizen of a right to which that act entitles him...
"Decree...This court is of opinion that...so much of the several laws of the state of New York as prohibits vessels, licensed according to the laws of the United States, from navigating the waters of the state of New York, by means of fire or steam, is repugnant to the said Constitution and void."
What conclusion is outlined in the above quotation regarding the Gibbons v. Ogden Supreme Court decision? (1 point)
States must recogonize all federal laws.
Federal laws have less power than state laws.
States have the right to deny federal law.
Federal government can only regulate laws regarding waterways.
Note: The following item has been reviewed and is schedule to be updated. All students will receive full credit for any response to the following.
10. "Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"
–during a debate in the Senate, 1830
Following the War of 1812, regional issues brought conflict to the American political scene. Which eloquent speaker defended national interests in this famous declaration? (1 point)
John C. Calhoun
11. What resources led to the appearance of the Industrial Revolution in New England? (5 points)
12. During the early 1800s, the United States tried to make peace with other countries in order to grow and develop. Give an example of one of these peace efforts and briefly explain what it hoped to accomplish. (5 points)
13. How did sectionalism emerge in the 1820s? Compare the priorities of the regions. (5 points) (5 points)
Answer this Question
Social studies ASAP - Which of the following helped to increase the populations ...
Geography - Need help with this: 5. Great cultural diversity exists in African ...
social studies - ineed the location of egypt this is what i wrote so far, ...
10th grade social studies - How does trade and offering cominly diverse choices ...
social studies - which tribes controlled the northeastern part of florida?
social studies - which tribe was is the largest and controlled the northeastern ...
help! - Diversity in populations of organisms is chiefly the result of??? ...
Geography - Can someone please check if my answers are correct? 3. All of the ...
Geography - Explain why urban exclusion appears to be growing in large cities. I...
social studies - the two major tribes of the northeastern part of the Eastern ...
For Further Reading