Posted by Knights on Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 10:07pm.
A line with slope 3 is 2 units away from the origin. Find the area of the triangle formed by this line and the coordinate axes.
How is this even going to be done? We are given little info but a bunch of variables. Could someone help please??
- analytic geometry helps are appreciated - Sarah, Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 10:16pm
So the "legs" of the triangle would be 2 I believe. And the area of a triangle is (Length*Width)/2. So I think the area should be 2units^2. I'm not sure if that's what you were asking.
- analytic geometry helps are appreciated - drwls, Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 10:27pm
The line can pass by the origin on the right or the left, but the answer will be the same. The sloped line will be the hypotenuse of a triangle whose other two sides are segments of the x or y axes, ending at the origin.
The angles of the triangle are 71.56 degrees (arctan3), 90 degrees, and 18.44 degrees.
The length of the side opposite the small angle is 2/sin18.44 = 6.32
The length of the hypotenuse is
6.32/cos18.44 = 6.66
The area of the triangle =
= 4.44 square units
- analytic geometry(correction) - drwls, Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 2:38am
I must have punched some wrong keys on my calculator
The area of the triangle is
= 6.66 square units
since the height (distance of the line from the origin) is 2 units.
- analytic geometry helps are appreciated - Knights, Thursday, February 28, 2013 at 7:35am
thank you very much it helps a lot!!!
Answer this Question
- math - A tangent line is drawn to the hyerbola xy=c at a point P. 1) show that ...
- math repost!! - please help, i procrastinated and now this is due tomorrow!! A ...
- calculus - Find the x-coordinate of the point P on the parabola y=1-x^2 (0<x...
- Calculus - find the x-coordinate of the point P on the parabola y=1-x^2 for 0<...
- Algebra - Is it possible to find the slope of a line if the equation has two ys...
- math - the area of a circle inscribed in the triangle formed by the line with ...
- math - A right triangle is formed in the first quadrant by the x- and y-axes and...
- Analytic Geometry - A circle at the origin whose is 2 units is 2 is inscribed in...
- analytic geometry helps are appreciated - For some positive real number r , the ...
- trig - let P be a point in Q1 such that the slope of the line connecting P to ...