Posted by Anonymous on Monday, February 25, 2013 at 6:50am.
A donut is generated by rotating the circle, S, defined by (x-3)^2 +y^2 =4 about the y axis. If the anagement of dunkin donuts wants to know how to price these donuts use intergral calculus to help them
(i) set up a definite intergral to determine the volume,V1, of a donut having no hole by rotating the right hand semi circle about the y axis.
Calculus - Steve, Monday, February 25, 2013 at 11:09am
The right semicircle is 3 units from the y axis. If you rotate that piece around the y-axis, it will have a 6-unit diameter hole in the middle.
However, the integral as described above can take advantage of the symmetry about the x-axis, and is thus found using washers:
2∫[0,2] π (R^2-r^2) dy
where R = x = 3+√(4-y^2) and r=3
= 2π ∫[0,2] (3+√(4-y^2))^2 - 9 dy
= 4π (3π + 8/3)
Or, integrating over x using shells,
2∫[3,5] 2πrh dx
where r = x and h = y = √(4-(x-3)^2)
= 4π ∫[3,5] x√(4-(x-3)^2) dx
= 4π(3π + 8/3)
Or, using the Theorem of Pappus,
area of semi-circle is 1/2 π * 2^2 = 2π
The centroid is at 3+(4r/3π) = 3+(8/3π)
So, the volume is
= 2π(6π + 16/3)
= 4π(3π + 8/3)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - Marcela 27 donuts from Dunkin Donuts. She ate one ninth of the donuts. ...
- math - Marcela 527 donuts from Dunkin Donuts. She ate one ninth of the donuts. ...
- math - Alex bought 27 donuts from Dunkin Donuts. He ate 1/9 of the doughnuts. He...
- Algebra - A shop sells coffee and donuts. The coffee sells for $4.31 and donuts ...
- chemistry - could donuts be quantified in terms of instead of number explain? ...
- chemistry - could donuts be quantified in terms of mass instead of number ...
- STATISTICS - A local donut shop wishes to test out its donuts against those of ...
- marketing - Matt owns a donut shop. He rents a space for $1500 a month and pays ...
- Statistics - I have been working on the following homework problem: Consider ...
- Math help - Formulate a linear programming problem for the following situation. ...